HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, June 04, 2017

I'm missing The Bookstore already

Sunday mornings are not the same since The Bookstore is closed on Sundays now. I can't imagine what it will be like when they are closed for good, later this month.

I tried Starbucks and Panther Coffee. Not the same. I know what you are going to say - "There are lots of restaurants for breakfast, Tom, why not go there?" Well, I do, but usually later in the morning and when I am with people. I had breakfast last Sunday at Greenstreet. Love it there, but The Bookstore is different.

Early in the morning, it's all regulars, with a few tourists sprinkled in. Everyone shares one big table. There are all sorts of conversations going on and sometimes one big conversation. The staff knows everyone who walks through the doors and the "Breakfast Club" all know each other.

It's not about the food, which is excellent, it's about the people. It's the place where everybody knows your name. It's a bit of Cheers and Luke's Diner, all rolled into one.

When I leave the gym early on weekend mornings, it's the perfect place to go. It's where I get my steel cut oatmeal or freshly made yogurt. It's where I get my Healthy Hen Bowl for lunch a couple of times a week. It's where everyone shares their life and stories early on weekend mornings - who is going where, who was just there, who is having a birthday, who had a great dinner at that new place up the block. You know, village talk.

I met some of my friends who are bicyclists, in front of CocoWalk this morning - at Starbucks, where usually dozens of bicyclists meet on weekend mornings. They were shocked to hear that Starbucks is moving across the street and that CocoWalk will be under renovation for a long time. They can't all fit at the new Starbucks location across the street and for the longest time I had been trying to get them to congregate at The Bookstore, but that point is moot now. So where will they end up? Brickell? South Miami?

The Grove is disappearing as we know it. Village Life is disappearing.

Here's an interesting piece in the NY Times called "The End of Black Harlem." Gentrification has taken over that neighborhood, too.

#FirstWorldProblems

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Virginia Grovite said...

I suggest that all us Grovites who are going to sorely miss the Bookstore, and I am one, to buy it and keep it open.

We complain about how outside interests are coming in to take over, but I waiting for the inside interests to stand up and make a stand. Form a consortium of investors and buy the bookstore and stop complaining that you can't do anything to save the Grove as we now it

June 04, 2017 4:06 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Great thought to utilize throughout Miami Dade, in all the neighborhoods.

June 04, 2017 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only visit the Grove 2 weeks out of every year, but the Bookstore is my go too for breakfast and lunch. It will be so missed.

June 05, 2017 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bookstore is closing for good? Sad. When I lived and then visited the area, the Bookstore was more of a normal place to go. Poor Coconut Grove, losing so much of it's uniqueness.

June 06, 2017 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how are the efforts of Virginia Grovite to coming along to "Form a consortium of investors and buy the bookstore"? How is her Crowd Funding progressing? Landlords only rent for cash and not for wishes or good intentions.

June 07, 2017 6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home