HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

I still love the food trucks, I really do

I have been contacted by many people about the Food Truck story I ran yesterday. Many felt that I was putting the trucks down after championing them for so long.

I wasn't trying to do that. I was trying to say that I put them on such a pedestal and after all that, they are just "normal" businesses like most food concessions and restaurants. Which I think is a good thing.

My point was that they did not bring the end of the world or the end of the restaurant world as many had feared. They are there and they are no longer a novelty (or something to be feared), but they are a viable choice for lunch and dinner for those who want to stop and partake.

But I have found myself lately going to the local restaurants instead. But that does not mean I don't like the food trucks, the concept or the food. In fact, they were being considered for the 4th of July in Peacock Park, but the planners feared that the trucks would hurt the Sam Adams beer sales that the Chamber does, but I made a point of explaining that the trucks do not sell beer and that they should be encouraged to participate in the large Coconut Grove celebration. So they are apparently on the agenda for July 4th.

I love the trucks, just not daily, which was the case in the past. All things in moderation.

Here is part of what I received from one reader, named Hector: "I think that you are unfairly judging the food truck movement that numbers around 40 trucks, on the basis of the 3-4 that have made it to the Grove. I mean the Grove restrictions have limited you to choose between only a few trucks. If you go to one of the larger gatherings that the Grove won't allow, you will find a larger choice and a larger variety."

"Your story only covers what is showing up to the Grove. Other people in the city read this blog, and you can not just condemn the truck movement on a few bad eggs you encountered in the Grove. The Grove has maybe 4-5 trucks where the rest of the city has 40- 50."

My response to Hector: The one "bad egg" I did encounter just brought the whole subject down to earth for me and lead me to believe there are bad and good with every business and the best will survive.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.