HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

We need more of a variety of restaurants

We need a good fish place in the Grove. I know we have some places, but a "real" good fish place that tourists would be drawn to. Tourists ask me for Joe's Stone Crab often, I send them to Monty's. But I wouldn't call Monty's a great fish place, even though they do have great stone crabs.

We also need Indian food, many tourists were disappointed to hear that Anokha was closed. Hopefully they will return in another location.

We need in and out places and we need things like Chicken Kitchen and Baja Fresh. We need more of a variety. We need better pricing. We need lots of variety. That is what I am told by people on the street.

I am told that Qdoba didn't make it because of poor location. And I am told that Chicken Grill didn't make it because of poor location. Hopefully that will change soon. I will go out of my way to get something I like, so I find the poor location thing doesn't hold water. Promotion is needed.

I see the guys from Sony walk from their Mayfair offices daily to CocoWalk and Commodore Plaza for lunch, there is no reason why people from Commodore or South Grove won't go to Mayfair or that area for lunch or dinner. The Grove is small, I don't believe in poor locations in a small five block area.

All this being said, I love all the restaurants we do have. I eat at all of them, I just think we need more variety -- for things we don't have. But places like Olav's Pommes and Pane and Focaccia will actually make you anything you want that's not on the menu. I had a great breakfast at Pommes and Pane today that Olva made just for me and the Coconut Grove Grapevine sandwich at Focaccia was morphed from other sandwiches they had on the menu. And most Grove places will do that for you.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

14 Comments:

Blogger Brian Breslin said...

grape, the reason that spot next to kinkos stinks for fast/convenient food is because there is no quick parking next to it. stuff like qdoba you don't really need or want to eat it there. But i agree 100% on your assesment that we need more variety and more places.

Lets get more maps every block or so. like from dadeland mall (covered in graffiti resistant glass perhaps? and lit)

May 27, 2009 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something like Tarks, a small restaurant up in Hollywood. It is a great cozy outfit where you can get a variety of great seafood with fast service.

May 27, 2009 4:40 PM  
Blogger SteveBM said...

While they would be a prime target for the Grove for their ability to afford the rent and appeal to tourists, I am against chain restaurants like Chicken Kitchen and Baja Fresh, Quiznos, and the lot. First off, the food just isnt good. Sure, its pretty cheap and quick but it lacks flavor. Secondly, the introduction of these types of restaurants would spell losses for the Grove staples like Jaguar, Pommes y Pane, Focaccia, etc, because tourists would just gravitate there rather than checking out the area and finding these Grove favorites. Maybe Im wrong? I mean, Chili's and Hooters dont seem to detract much from these other places? Then again, both of those places are pretty hidden. Cheesecake Factory is certainly packed most weekend nights (I still cant figure out why...guess thats branding at its best!!) At the same time, the Design District is flourishing with new chef-owned restaurants that are taking the city by storm. Thats the hottest area for food in Miami right now, hands down. Its not cheap either. Certainly with all the affluent people who live in the Grove and surrounding areas there must be some appeal to stay here for a great meal rather than trek to the Design District? Other than a few places here in the Grove, I rarely find a reason to stay. Jaguar, Le Bouchon, and Ideas are the best we have right now for dinner. I thought Cita's was gonna be a great one but the food went downhill rather quickly once the original chef left. I will admit there are a few places like Calamari that Ive yet to try (that actually may be the only one).

More privately-owned (or better yet - chef owned) restaurants in the Grove is what Id like to see. I will admit that I dont think its any easy task to run a successful restaurant in teh Grove though. Certainly not for the weak, thats for sure. Not only does the food have to shine, the marketing has to be top notch.

May 27, 2009 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Michelle Niemeyer said...

I had lunch at Crazy Pianos today. The salmon wrap was excellent!

May 27, 2009 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parking parking parking the main problem!

Flanigans, Coral Bagels all have their own easy parking especially fr take out!

May 27, 2009 8:06 PM  
Anonymous sailfast said...

Lets see. New York style deli like Roasters' n Toasters. In & Out Burgers (you have to be from California to know about this one). Paneras Bread shop.

May 27, 2009 8:46 PM  
Anonymous Lili Dones said...

Fish Restaurants in the Grove:
Chart House - its all about fish and its by the water
Monty's - Seafood, ditto water
Scotty's Landing - fish and seafood a large part of menu, so its not gourmet but great hang out, ditto water
Calamari Italian Seafood Grille. Fish and Seafood, Italian style
Sandbar: Fish Tacos
Akashi: Sushi (it's fish)
Oishi: Sushi, ditto

May 27, 2009 11:18 PM  
Blogger SteveBM said...

Anon @ 8:06pm - there is plenty of parking in the Grove. You just may have to walk for a whole block. Visit the design district sometime and tell me where all the parking is there. There are zero garages yet people find meters blocks away and walk.

May 28, 2009 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grape, you are daffy with this crap. We don't want or need more chains. The restaurants we do have are hanging on by a thread. Besides you eat in coral gables and south miami and other areas nearly every day.

May 28, 2009 10:04 AM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

I eat in the Grove every day. Last time I was in S. Miami was two months ago and last time I was in the Gables was to return my cable boxes to Comcast, where I stopped into Einstein Brothers about two months ago.

I am at meetings in the Grove daily, you think I leave to get lunch and dinner and run back. You are a liar. And every restaurant in the Grove can prove me right. I just got back from Havana Grove in fact, where I was for breakfast.

May 28, 2009 10:08 AM  
Anonymous AGC said...

Love the Grove's restaurants - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Variety would be good, but not just anything. Chains aren't really appropriate, but something quick and fresh with seating would be great.

May 28, 2009 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how are you going to call someone a liar when they are just repeating statements that you made online? then choose not to post their proof that they were just repeating what you said?

Look I'm a fan of the blog, but once in a while, you're a bit too righteous. I was merely pointing that out. maybe ease up on others and they will ease up on you.

PS. don't post this comment, unless you post the previous showing your quote here: http://www.transitmiami.com/2007/07/19/billboards-of-lies/

May 28, 2009 6:21 PM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

That was two years ago, I don't leave the Grove most days and can't remember when I have eaten elsewhere unless it was a family function or I was out of town.

I honestly eat breakfast lunch and dinner in the Grove daily. Out of necessity, not to prove a point.

May 28, 2009 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of chains myself, but I can't help but notice that Houston's in the Gables always has a crowd waiting outside. Maybe if they opened one in the Grove, it could benefit from the Gables spill over? The food isn't earth shattering, but it's tasty and the quality is consistent.

I also just hear a piece on NPR this past Friday about Berrie's. They seem to be doing very, very well. The ease of parking probably helps. In most cases it's no big deal to walk a couple blocks, but if it's pouring rain or 100 degrees outside, I'd just as soon go somewhere where I didn't have to.

May 30, 2009 7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home