HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Does Code Enforcment know what they are doing?

At last week's Village Council meeting, Pierre Sands, Village West resident and certified arborist, says he is cynical about the motives of Code Enforcement. He says that Code Enforcement does not have any formal training with it comes to tree cutting and arborist issues.

Mariano De Mola, Director of Code Enforcement, who was at the meeting, said that his crew follows City Codes written by the City Commission and his crew members do not need to be arborists to do their job.

Pierre says they come out just looking for trouble. They don't have a clue what they are looking for, but they want to cause trouble and write fines.

Pierre said, "The code is good. Enforcement is inept." He went on to say Code Enforcement is veracious in fining everyone.

Bob Brennan, one of our Grove Santas was at the meeting, he said, "Our inspectors don't have a clue and they don't know the code. Our Code Enforcement department is broken."

A neighbor from Oak Avenue stood up and told of her horror stories and harassment, too.The bottom line is that the Village Council sent them off to debate the issue and solve it on their own and eventually have the City change code rules through the proper procedures.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to see these actual codes. Does anyone have a url to the codes online? Is it a searchable index? Thanks.

December 23, 2008 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

contact the Clerk's office at City Hall or Sarnoff's office or his Chief of Staff and ask for copy of tree ordinance. msarnoff@miamigov.com
rnelson@miamigov.com or
write the Village Council Chair
mniemeyer@paymyclaim.com

December 23, 2008 10:32 AM  
Blogger Tony Scornavacca Jr. said...

Code Enforcement cannot enforce the code.

Example: Junk cars in the FRONT yards of homes all over the city.

I feel bad for the neighbor who is trying to sell their home. Buyers won't buy when they see a trashy home across the street.

This is costing people real money.

December 24, 2008 12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jobie Steppe says: Code enforcement wrote six violations because I had art on the easement in front of my home; not on my property. The violations do not mention art. The inspector asked for $5,000.00, cash and I threw him from my property. At the board meeting they would not allow me to defend myself and threw me out of the meeting----laughing----six out of nine did. I filed an appeal and will soon file a federal lawsuit asking for $10-million. The City of Miami police investigated my issues with code enforcement and called them outright crooks and will testify against several high ranking code enforcement officials. The City of Miami had to hire an outside law firm who has now filed two frivilous motions to throw out my appeal because "they" now understand the violations had been cleared as I called in an unsuspecting honest up supervisor who instantly realized the art was not on my property, but an even higher up advised him to state the inspection never took place and the honest inspector forgot to inform the boss that the police witnessed the re-inspection and the clearance of all of the violations, however the higher ups are never-the-less fining my property $250.00, daily. Unfortunately the taxpayers are paying these attorney's $400.00, per hour to continue this stupidity and harrassment----for what? When the management at code enforcement leave office they get to take a percentage of the fines with them. I know one man who has a $200,000.00 lien on his home for absolutely nothing. About 20 people called me and collectively they had about $10-million in fines and liens and the only thing they had in common was they were elderly, would pass on soon and their homes would then be foreclosed upon. They can't get reverse mortgages or sell their properties. The fire fund was $17-million, the transit tax, I'm not sure, somewhere about $30-million. The news media is behind me as my situation involves code enforcement denying me due process and violation of first amendment guarantees so the city hired hired some big gun attorney's to twart my appeal and head off my federal complaint----I sincerely feel sorry for the taxpayers as they have to foot the bill on all of this. Jobie Steppe

December 25, 2008 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home