HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Basil in the Grove is the place for perfectly prepared food

salad2
Basil in the Grove (3301 Grand Avenue) has to be one of the biggest secrets in the Grove. I know I have written about them before, but I am so addicted to their food, I just thought I would mention them again. Keep in mind, they are under new ownership, so many of you may have visited in the past, but this is a new place, with a new menu.

This is their spectacular salad. There is something special about the salad or the dressing, or both. Served with their freshly-baked puffy cheese bread, it's a meal in itself. You really don't need anything else, although I highly recommend the Ginger Soy Talapia, which totally compliments the salad and bread. It's a light meal that you'll enjoy. Lately I have been getting the Orange Salmon with broccoli. (You can see photos of the Talapia and Salmon here).

The food is fresh, healthy and tasty and there is plenty of parking. I almost feel that the people who eat there are in on a special secret and when I see all the happy diners, I just smile to myself and think these people really do know quality when it comes to food. Others go to trendy places to see and be seen, but the people who eat at Basil are there for the food.


They are open from 11 am every day (except Sunday) and you should try it out.

The new owners are low key and friendly. I would say that Roman and his staff go out of their way to make you feel at home, but they aren't going out of their way, they are just like that -- very laid back and comfortable to be around. You feel as if you are in their own home when you are there. They'll remember your name, what you like to eat and drink and they treat you like long lost friends. I'll pop my head in and say, "I'll take my usual," and run out to the post office or something and when I come back, there is "my usual" waiting for me, perfectly prepared.

But again it's the food. Every person that I have ever sent there has been addicted to their food and keeps going back. Try it. Today. They'll deliver in the Center Grove, if you can't make it out today, call them at: 305-444-4848.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep this up Grape and I won,t be able to get a seat anymore.....

November 25, 2008 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What time do they close every day? I went once and they closed the door at 7 pm, even though the awning outside says 9 pm.

November 25, 2008 12:26 PM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

New closing time is 7 pm.

November 25, 2008 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would you all say are the BEST SteakHouses in the Grove?. I often get friends and family visiting, they insist on going to Ruth Chris' for instance in Gables, or Morton's downtown.

Can we beat that here in the Grove?

Carlos

November 25, 2008 12:42 PM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

Angelo and Maxie's. How about we stay on topic here?

November 25, 2008 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try the acai smoothie - talk about being addicted!

I agree, the salad and dressing is simple and light, yet the flavor complex.

Definitely one of my favorites - in Miami!

November 25, 2008 2:23 PM  
Blogger SteveBM said...

They have pretty good empanadas at Basil too at a decent price. I have to try a lunch or diner there sometime.

Grape, have you had the steak at A&M's? Whats the space like?

Carlos - Ruth's Chris and Morton's cant hold a candle to Capital Grille. The Cap is the best steakhouse in that tier (Cap, Morts, RC's, Smith & Wollensky) and I actually think its better than some of the extreme expensive steak places like Prime 112.

November 25, 2008 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go to Basil all the time and I love it! The food is delicious and cheap! But they close early quite often if no one is there. I usually call before going to make sure they are open. The only other thing is that your meal may be interrupted by a "street person" while your eating asking you for money. It's happened to me twice already. They come in without the owners knowing and they come right up to your table and ask you for a cigarette or 80 cents. It's a little uncomfortable especially at night but I guess that's part of the charm of eating there, right?

November 25, 2008 8:16 PM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

I have been there 100 times and honestly can say I have never witnessed a person coming in asking for money. I'm not sure how they would get past the staff, the place is so small.

November 25, 2008 8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the other door in the front is unlocked, not the side door where you usually go in. That's when it's happened to me. But the owners are really quick to intercept them and were very apologetic. It wasn't that big of deal. My boyfriend and I just laughed. We were the only ones in there at the time (I'm not making this up).

November 25, 2008 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely. I have eaten there 2-3 times and I felt very relaxed while enjoying very fresh and delicious food. My wife tried to get their "secret" salad dressing but Roman did not give. We will try again, we recommend you do too.
Otis. (a soon to be Grovite, maybe)

January 06, 2009 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last couple of meals i've had here were absolutely terrible. One lunch it took them 20 minutes to take our order, and then the food took 40 minutes to cook. I am not exagerrating at all. The staff did not apologise or offer any explanation for the delay. Then the next time we ate here, the rice and beans was so oversalted, it was inedible. Both of these occurences were in the last couple of months.

I will never eat here again.

February 02, 2009 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never had a terrible meal at basil. The food has always been great. They have a very small staff and are juggling a lot at once. I commend them! You get great food at a great price...you can't beat that! Try getting the portion of delicious top sirloin steak with a salad, rice and beans somewhere else at the price you get at basil.

April 23, 2009 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home