HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, October 19, 2008

McDonald's is now outsourcing their order takers

I found out an interesting, yet spooky thing today at McDonald's. When you order at the drive thru, you are speaking to someone in another state, possibly another country.

That sweet syrupy voice is some lady not actually inside McDonald's. I found that out when I asked for a key lime pie and she didn't know what that was. I said, "It's on the menu. Are you out?" And she replied, "I don't know, ask at the window. I'm actually not inside the restaurant."

So when I asked at the window, two disgruntled employees told me that indeed, the woman was elsewhere and that many customers had complained about the robot-like quality of the service. I honestly didn't like it either. Each day that I go for coffee she is the same, reading from a script, same thing every day and I found that sort of weird and unfriendly.

I'll take Natasha's loud, harsh gravely voice yelling into the speaker any day over the robot woman. I guess McDonald's is trying to save money, but it would be nicer if they paid a couple of people a salary in our community to do the job and actually kept the jobs local.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The food at McDonalds is really bad for you. I wouldn't eat there if I were you. I haven't eaten fast food in years. I saw a cool sticker at a head shop in Denver a long time ago w/ the arches, red and yellow and it said McSh*t. I guess that could also be applicable to the current Republican nominee, but it's also true about the quality of their food. I'd just try to stay away from there whether there is a live order taker or not.

October 19, 2008 2:02 PM  
Blogger eldesaparecido said...

WTF.

October 19, 2008 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt the two servers by the window would live in Coconut Grove. The wages wouldn't make too much of a difference either. It is truly spooky that they have outsourced the order takers.

October 19, 2008 8:36 PM  
Blogger Brian Breslin said...

this didn't eliminate any jobs, it allows the cashier to focus on the transaction, and less on order accuracy. This system, i think which started in colorado springs, allows a mcdonalds to take MORE orders per hour and has a higher accuracy rate.

it was described in fast food nation (book)

October 20, 2008 12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure allows the cashier to focus on the reactions, but I've noticed that the majority of staff at the windows are black, perhaps residents of the West Grove, and the sound of the voices from Tampa are particularly "white".

Essentially, this would mean at some point McDonald's can be staffed entirely by non-English speakers willing to be paid less than the people currently working at the windows.

God forbid we actually have to have any kind of human interaction!

October 20, 2008 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IF THE PEOPLE IN OUR COUNTRY WOULD ACTUALLY WANT TO WORK FOR THE WAGES THAT THE OUTSOURCED EMPLOYEES WORK FOR, THEN WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO OUTSOURCE TO A DIFFERENT COUNTRY. BUT SOME CITIZENS/ OR RESIDENTS IN THE UNITED STATES ARE TOO DAMN LAZY TO MAKE AN HONEST BUCK EVEN IF IT IS 5$ AN HOUR. THEY PREFER TO COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT OR COLLECT CHILD SUPPORT AFTER THEY'VE BEEN DIVORCED 3 TIMES. I MEAN HAS ANYONE LOOKED AT HOW PEOPLE ARE LIVING IN THE US? LAZY BUMS!!! GET A FREAKIN JOB.

March 01, 2010 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home