HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, November 17, 2019

A picture from the past

This photo brings back so many memories, a friend found it on Facebook and sent it to me. I've pictured Oak Feed in my head over the years just like this. It's across from CocoWalk, a little to the left of where Smoothie King was. I'm not sure of the year of this photo, by looking at the cars, I guess early 1980s, but it could be the last 1970s.

There's a photo of Winn-Dixie, in Panther Coffee on Main Highway. Winn-Dixie was across from Oak Feed, where the ad agency is now, where the bookstore originally was. I had pictured that Winn-Dixie for years in my head and no one seemed to remember it and I would insist that it was there. The photo shows it just as I remembered it.


This is the view today.

As for Oak Feed, everyone seems to remember that. I remember I was a kid in high school and I was selling ads for Community Newspapers. I would go to Oak Feed, barely get in the door and ask the owner, Sandy Pukel, if he would like to buy an ad in the paper. He would say, "No thank you," and I would be off. One of my friends berates me to this day for not being a salesman and not getting the ads I deserve in the Grapevine because I don't ask for them. (hint, hint). I didn't really know how to sell ads back then either. 

I see Sandy often, he drives the orange vintage VW beetle, I'm sure you've seen him. Well, he tells me he still has that big Oak Feed sign in his garage. He said it's 40 feet long! I've told Sandy about my failure to sell him ads in the past and we laugh about it.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the Country Store restaurant around the corner on Florida Ave - about where the bookstore moved to before it closed.

November 17, 2019 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Jay Hall said...

That is not winn dixie. Winn dixie was a stand along bldg with parking, it was just north of The Country Sture which is now where the mayfair is. Across fron the mayfair was a old gas ststion whrere the corner of cocoqalk is and I think it was used last as a bicycle shop. Wher the Oakfeed store ( or next door) was the first coffee house in the Grove, (I think the original flick?) Yup been in the area since 1958

November 17, 2019 5:05 PM  
Blogger PlantFriend said...

Do you remember I Ching? I remember Winn Dixie. Do you remember Angela's restaurant?

November 17, 2019 6:13 PM  
Blogger Dennis Edwards said...

History Miami Museum should be interested in restoring and displaying that sign. It was a real Miami landmark, like the Coppertone sign on Biscayne Blvd! Thanks for this trip down memory lane.

November 18, 2019 6:12 AM  
Blogger Tony Scornavacca Jr. said...

The entire Johnny Rockets building is now surrounded by plywood and scaffolding. Looks like some construction starting to happen?

November 18, 2019 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home