HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Will the last Grovite please turn out the lights

Erika King's letter about leaving the Grove struck a nerve. There are a lot of comments on Facebook regarding people's feelings about the non-stop changes in our little village.

It's been building for a long time, no pun intended. The Grove is not the Grove anymore and it just takes one final thing to create the tipping point for many who want out. I know many people who are leaving who have been fixtures here for years. They have up and sold. They have moved near and far; they have left the village they used to love. It built to a point where it didn't feel like home anymore. Little by little; one thing after another and finally the last straw for many.

One friend posted a photo on Instagram one day in front of a house and the copy said, "Here we are in front of our new house in Asheville!" Just like that they picked up and left without telling anyone and we found out through the Instagram post. It's no secret I like other parts of the country. And I'm getting to the point of abandoning the Grove myself. I think my tipping point was the security guard on the waterfront the other day telling me I had to leave.

I can feel the pain of those who are told to "Go Back Home! Go back to where you came from!" That's what that felt like. Only I was home! I was in the center of the place where I have lived most of my life and I was told to leave by a total stranger!

I can bet that this guy goes to work at the dock and goes home and has never stepped foot in Center Grove or in any of the neighborhoods. I can bet he comes down 27th Avenue from some other place, parks, does his job and leaves and has no sense of what is around him. I know that because he was not a Grovite. I don't know where he lives or who he is, but he is not a Grovite, because Grovites don't behave like that; he's a stranger hired to bully people. A little old man, bullying people out of their own neighborhood. I like to think he is out of line and that's not part of his job; a rent-a-cop who has delusions of grandeur.

I reached out about this incident, I contacted the Mayor, Commissioner Russell, the City Manager and a few of the marina operators. The answer so far has been silence. Not one response from any of them. Nothing. I guess no response is a response.


I met a guy recently who told me he lives in a little bungalow in Center Grove and he plans on staying there to fight the developers. He is not leaving, even if they build right up to his door, which of course can be quite uncomfortable when you are the only one left in the neighborhood surrounded by chrome and glass which comes right up to your door.

I'm waiting for the developers, they are coming for us in my neighborhood. I am going to sell out to them and leave when the time comes. I live in an older condo building that will be replaced by the same size building in the same footprint, so I don't feel as if I am selling to a developer who will build zero lot line homes, destroying trees in their wake.

Yes. I know, but what is the point of staying and fighting, is it worth it to go down like a rat in a sinking ship? For what end? To prove a point?

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tony Scornavacca Jr. said...

I understand how you feel but honestly, the bay and the trees are pretty awesome and those things keep the atmosphere pleasant. Yes, the construction has been a nightmare for about the last five years and I don't like how the City's income from the Grove's taxes has not been reinvested in the beautification of our public spaces. Even still, I'm a "lifer".

July 30, 2019 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In looking at the picture that you posted can you please tell me what is better for the neighborhood...the two new houses or the crack shack in the middle??? I understand that you don't care for the architecture of the new houses, but they are contributing to raising the quality of the neighborhood, increasing people's property values, bringing in new families, etc. What is the crack shack doing -- the complete opposite. If these two houses we done in a different style would you complain as much?? The Grove is in an upward swing after many years of stagnation and all the old "Grovites" can do is complain about it pining for the days of what??? The crappy stores that only sold turquoise belt buckles? Everything that is happening to the Grove is for the positive. You might not like the style of Architecture that is going up but please it's been years since we have had activity in the Downtown like we have now.

July 30, 2019 4:43 PM  
Blogger Manuel F. Almenara said...

I mostly agree with the writer, though I believe the development around South Bayshore/27th Ave is a positive one for the Grove. The town center, on the other hand, is yet to be seen, and hopefully will be the needed improvement over the old Cocowalk that was required. However, the unattractive sore thumb sticking out to ruin any expectations of a sensible and pleasing development that would fit in with the local Grove “sense of things” is the new Mr. C Hotel. It is beyond belief that such a building, so out of place in the Grove, was allowed to be built. Surely it is due to such monstrosities that long-time residents are giving up and leaving for good as there is no way to prevent them from being built.
Manuel F. Almenara

July 30, 2019 5:13 PM  
Blogger Frank Schnidman said...

Does anyone ever wonder what the Tequesta Indians thought about all these new people moving in what is now Coconut Grove to totally change their environment?
Frank Schnidman

July 30, 2019 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not understand all of the people that want to continue living in the past. "The Grove is not the Grove anymore" they say. You are not the same anymore either! We should be grateful that cities can have a "facelift" more often than people do. Were it not for that, we would be living in the 12th century with no running water or electricity or sewers. Erika King says in her letter "I have chosen to move to the neighborhood of Buena Vista, between the Design District and the burgeoning new Arts District further north, where many of the best galleries have also chosen to open,". If it wasn't because that area has changed from what it used to be, she would not be moving there either!!! Change is good, change keeps us going. I like to live in the Grove and see all the changes, they keep me alive and vibrant.

July 30, 2019 7:12 PM  

<< Home