HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Reminiscing

The old Lums on McFarlane Road in the 1970s.

I was writing about CocoWalk and mentioned the old gas station, someone on Facebook mentioned that it was a Sinclair gas station. So picture it - the old Grove - where Sapeint is now, where the form bookstore was, at the corner of Grand and Virginia, there was Winn-Dixie and across Virginia was a Sinclair gas station. Small town America.

I pictured that Winn-Dixie in my head for years and then was thrilled to see it in a photo on the wall at Panther Coffee on Main Highway. Stop by and see some of the old Grove photos at Panther.

Down block I remember the I Ching building. I remember being on the third floor and the floor was creaky, I almost felt as if it would cave in. And I remember the Kress 5&10 store where Jaguar the restaurant is now.

I remember the Lums. I ate there a lot with my family. I saw this old photo online somewhere, it's the Lums in the 1970s. I don't remember all the foliage and I thought it was higher up on the bluff, but I guess not. Lums was where the Oasis building is on McFarlane now. It's at the left of the sign in the photo above.

I remember a lot more, but I don't remember the drug store or two that people speak about often. They or it was on the corner where Johnny Rockets was and/or the new Starbucks. Thee were one or two drugs stores, near as I can tell.


What's sad is that in the last few decades, the Grove's growth has all been based on greed. Did we need CocoWalk or Mayfair? I mean I have nothing against them, but what would the Grove be like without these two large structures? Do we need office buildings and huge condos? We could have remained a little village with a Winn-Dixie, a gas station, drugs stores a 5 & 10, you know, a neighborhood. It's interesting to think about.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you like to live in the past? If every inventor lived like that, we would still be in the dark ages. And how far back do you want to go? I bet people that lived when the Lums and Winn Dixie were built, also did not want them there because it was CHANGE and in general, people don’t like change. Embrace the future,when things stay in the same place,they get stagnant, moldy and old!

August 28, 2018 4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories. The old grove was very small-town and special in the early 1970's. I remember a gas station at the northeast corner of SW 27 Ave. and Tigertail where the Grove Club Condominium is now. I know this is a fact because I used to live in the Tigerhouse where the Ritz is now and I used that gas station.

The camera store was where the Gap is in Cocowalk and there was an apartment upstairs with a balcony that overlooked the intersection of Main Hwy., Grand Ave. and McFarlane.

August 28, 2018 4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And The Mutiny still stands.

August 28, 2018 5:00 PM  
Anonymous cathy eignus said...

At least we have those great memories.

August 28, 2018 5:27 PM  
Anonymous irene said...

i remember a gulf station on us1 and 27th avenue and somewhere like a drive in motel or restaurant where the post office is on tigertail across from the carwash.it seemed to be a howard johnson type thing with a roof. zayres and pantry pride and a&p where the burger king is

August 28, 2018 5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the second half of 20th century cocaine was the driving force for change in Miami and it maybe still be in some form or another. History will tell.

August 28, 2018 7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember some great little restaurant in a house in the neighborhood behind the Winn Dixie.
But before you get too sentimental about gas stations and Winn Dixie....talk to some Key Biscayners..:)

August 29, 2018 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Joan Morris said...

So many memories. I bought my first house on Shipping Ave. in 1955. The Grove was so special. Lots of us remember Scotty's Grocery on Bird Rd. They would allow charges for groceries and we paid once a month. It was so nice to have that opportunity to purchase groceries between paychecks. Winn Dixie was a Margaret-Ann then, only the ads called it Mahhgret
Aihynn. I loved the Variety Store, where I bought most of my son's clothes. And the 5 & 10 with the rocking horse in front. You could go to the library and sit in a rocking chair under the fan and read and relax. Joan Morris

September 01, 2018 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home