HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Add authentic Thai to Commodore's restaurant mix

Got a little tour of Atchana's Homegrown Thai restaurant, by Steve Capellini, who owns the restaurant with his wife Atchana. Steve did so much of the work himself, I would see him working there daily and now it's almost time to open, the red awnings are up and they are hoping the new restaurant at 3194 Commodore Plaza, will be open by the end of the year. 


You all may remember Siam Lotus, the restaurant in the green building, that was on US 1 in South Miami for so many years. Well they brought all that flavor and feel and authentication to the new Atchana's. I was telling Steve that I first tried duck at Siam Lotus and I used to make food runs for my favorite soup, Tom Yum Kai (I had to, it was named after me). This door at the new location is the actual carved front door from Siam Lotus. It was carved in Thailand and they saved it from the old restaurant all these years.


The restaurant has a lot of personal touches, like this little Red Bull case. Red Bull is from Thailand and these are the bottles it comes in.

Steve told me that he will be making his own Sriracha hot sauce from his own grown peppers. He plans on growing the peppers himself, along with herbs and lemon grass right in the restaurant and also out front. 


The centerpiece of the room has to be the 450 gallon fish tank. It add so much color and calmness to the surroundings.
Most of the restaurant features reclaimed wood, from Coconut Grove docks. Most of the material in the place is recycled. They have a perfect location at the corner of Commodore and Grand and I know from past experience that their food is perfect. So I would wish them luck in their new endeavor, but I don't think they need it.
I got a sneak peek at the menu and there are house favorites like Lobster Pad Thai, Whole Snapper, Crispy Duck, Rib Eye Thai Style and Fresh Spring Rolls, Tom Yum Goong and Tom Kha Kai soups with Wonton and Tofu Soup, too.

Curries include Beef Massaman Curry, Green Curry Pork, Panang Chicken Curry and Chicken Yellow Curry. Noodles and rice include Pad Thai, Kuay Teaw Pad, Pineapple and Shrimp Fried Rice, Pad Woonsen and so much more.

I love the Thai Doughnut Holes for dessert along with Thai's Cream Sandwich, Tropical Fruit Sorbet and Mango and Sticky Rice.

They have lots of greens and lots of starters like Bangkok Wings and Satay and Thai Beefy Jerky.

I think I have a new favorite place and they haven't even opened yet!

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.