HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Coyo may not be coming after all

So, I am quite embarrassed about the Coyo story this morning. Apparently an upscale taco place is coming but it is not Coyo. Maybe I've been out in the sun too long. It is quite strange how I got the story. It's almost as if I was set up, but I wasn't.

Two Sundays ago, early in the morning, I ran into a local Grove restaurant owner. He mentioned to me that Coyo was coming to the Johnny Rockets space. He said they have been working on the place at night. I have known this guy for over 10 years, he is always spot on with the news. I did not hear him say Coyo but I didn't say anything at the time because I wanted him to keep talking and not clam up if I said I didn't know. He just spoke as if it was a fact that everyone in the village knew.

The next day, I texted him and I asked him what the name of the place was again. He texted back Coyo Taco. So there I had that. I looked up Coyo and saw what a big deal it was and I got excited. The Grove needs this. I had seen activity at the Johnny Rockets location and I know they have been wanting to get some action on that corner. After the gym the following Sunday, I walked by to check the permits on the door to see what I could find out. There were none.

I then did what I would normally do and what I do with all new businesses, I emailed Coyo. I emailed three times and never received a response. I called, but the manger or owner was never around. I prefer emails because I can just copy and paste their response and I get it perfectly word for word.


I asked one other person in town who I knew and she said something about a high end taco place opening, in October, but she didn't know any more info.

So I then emailed the BID, PointeGroup and others who would know. I just played it off as if it was common knowledge saying, "Hey, I heard Coyo Taco is opening, when is opening day?" I did not receive one response. Not one. 

Now keep in mind we all know each other, we are friends or frenemies and deal with each other daily, to receive not one reply, not even, "You're wrong," or "You're crazy," told me a lot.

After trying for a week or so, I finally grabbed a friend and we headed to Coyo for lunch. I asked a few of the workers about coming to the Grove, they did not know. I saw a manger and started a conversation with him. I didn't ask his name because I didn't want to tell him my name, as he might remember it from my email about the opening and it seemed like no one wanted to talk about it.

I told him how I loved the tacos and I asked him about coming to Coconut Grove. He said they were coming. I mentioned the former Johnny Rockets space, he said they were working on it now. I asked him about opening day, he said, "Wait a second, let me go find out." He walked to the back, he was gone about five minutes, I don't know if he asked someone else, if he looked at a calendar, if he talked to a contractor, I don't know. He just came out and said, "It's a secret." I asked him why and he said because there would be massive crowds if he told me, they want a soft opening. I asked him if it would be by the end of the year, He said, yes, it would be in about a month. So I figured October, since the other person told me high end taco place in October.

That's how I got the story. I was also told that they are not using their real name on the lease and a middle man is handling the deal. That is done daily with corporations and LLCs, etc.

I do plan on going back to Coyo and asking the guy what he was talking about when he spoke with me. Because the whole thing is very strange.

I found out first when a local newspaper contacted me and asked me about it because they had spoken to the Coyo manager. As usual, they were taking my story and making it theirs, a common occurrence which is why it was so important that I have the story first.

I then received an email from the PR person for Coyo and she said they did look around the Grove and they are looking to expand, but not to the Grove. So I have my head hung low, I have never deliberately posted erroneous news before. All roads lead to Coyo, but I guess not. The good news is that something is happening and it is called a high end taco place, so let's see how it plays out. I apologize for the confusion. It won't happen again. I do find it interesting that when the Grapevine speaks everybody listens. The whole city, not just the Grove is in turmoil over this. Coyo is just that great.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats like when you reported that the halloween store was open and a bunch of people went and paid to park in the grove to then find out they were not open.please tom get your facts straight before you post things.thank you!!!!!!
Jobie Steppe

September 03, 2015 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When someone comes out and admits they are wrong and apologizes, it is quite rude to then rub their nose in it.

September 03, 2015 3:47 PM  
Blogger REID PREATT said...

Tom you are great. WHO Cares about Coyo but we both know you and Pointe Group are not tight. Just ask them they would know. But they are a........ Now we we both know my response will not get published........... Now Have you talked about the new Dockmaster quarters at Dinner Key. Washing and dryers on the second floor. Wi Fi. The view at the third floor is worth a good bootle of of booze with their 2 $ bag of ice. Too big but it is a hidden little gem if you like to look at the bay. One of my last free parking spots, Dinner Key. Park looks great

September 03, 2015 3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dock masters office is great. I was looking for the water fountains during my morning walk and they are on the second and third floors. The steps are great exercise and the view is fantastic. I don't know how they'd feel about taking a lunch up there, but there are tables and chairs to enjoy. (And no "membership" fees, like you know where!)

September 03, 2015 4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Viva El Taquito!!!!

September 03, 2015 4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I then received an email from the PR person for Coyo and she said they did look around the Grove and they are looking to expand, but not to the Grove."

Wild guess: Rent too low?

Perhaps all of the vacant commercial lots will bring the rent prices up one day!

Go Figure.

September 03, 2015 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grape, I didn't post the 1st comment. could you verify by checking whatever? Secondly, who cares when someone says this or that as the Grape does the best it can do to get stories correct, with your ear to the pavement!? If Coyo comes and provides a service that the Grove and its visitors enjoy, great. And if not, great. Jobie Steppe

September 03, 2015 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like they may indeed be coming but weren't expecting to get scooped so now are denying it. Maybe it will be called something else, whatever. I think you did an excellent job of reporting.

September 03, 2015 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The owners of the Johnny Rockets space know what all Grove property owners should know:

The longer your space is vacant, the higher the rent, the longer your rental contract is, the more money you will make. Never fails in the Grove Ghost town.

September 04, 2015 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous 12:49PM give it a rest. Nobody's in business to lose money. Rather than berating Grove property owners for not leasing their properties fast enough or for charging too much money, get a group of your friends together and buy a building. Then you can lease it to your favorite tenant and have them pay you whatever they can and you get what you get. But when your friends who invested with you start screaming because they can't sell or refinance the building for what they bought it for because your lease doesn't generate enough revenue, then you're out of luck. It's not as easy as you may think.

September 04, 2015 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@2:30

Like everyone else, you offer no solution for the perplexing conundrum. Instead of childish personal attacks, why don't you give it a crack? (I even gave you a clue above)

33133 Land: Where the omnipresent cardinal Laws of Supply & Demand cease to exist:

The less open business, the higher the rent!

The longer they remain vacant, the higher the lease!

Go figure.

September 04, 2015 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home