HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Saturday, May 09, 2015

These potholes are unacceptable

I ruined another wheel rim on my car Friday. On 17th Avenue, next to the Cohen house, you know, the coral house that is on the corner, there is a huge pothole that you cannot see as you drive up the street and even if you see it, by the time you come upon it, you cannot avoid it because there is nowhere to go, if you try to swerve, you end up in oncoming traffic.

The City of Miami is the only place in the county that I have encountered so many potholes. In the last few years I have had to replace or fix many wheel rims. It's not a cheap proposition. Less than a year ago, I had to replace all four rims on my car because I did such a number on one rim that I couldn't get one replacement, I was forced into purchasing four rims. And one of those new rims was bent out of shape Friday near the Cohen house.

Another time as I left Coral Gables, just as I entered the City of Miami on Coral Way, I hit a pothole and destroyed a rim and tire. The tire just blew up! Something needs to be done.

The joke is that elected officials get elected on their promise to fix potholes. I don't think anyone promises that in Miami, if they do, they don't fix the holes.

I have spent thousands of dollars in repairs and replacements and I am tempted to sue the city, but I'm told I'll get nowhere trying to get reimbursement. I am sure I'm not the only one who has this problem. I am sure some of you have encountered that huge hole in the street on 17th Avenue. For years there were potholes up and down Tigertail until they repaved it. 


I'm not sure what is causing the potholes as we don't have the inclement weather like they do up north. I am guessing all the construction equipment and dump trucks are causing this mess. What else can it be? Maybe these developers who are taking over the neighborhood should be made to repair the streets all over the Grove that their trucks and equipment are destroying, not just the few feet they pave that are in front of their projects.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On several occasions when I notice a pot hole close to my home or on a road that I used frequently, for example, from U.S. # 1, south to Grand that had a bad pot hole I would take the time to go purchase a bag or two of asphalt and gal. of tar and pour it all into the hole, tap it all in with my # 30 thump-er and drive over it several times. That's a lot cheaper and less stressful than having to purchase four new rims.

May 09, 2015 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of trucks did anyone see the large truck that got stuck under a tree on McDonald street yesterday. Home Depot has some of the largest trucks around. It blocked one entrance to the shopping center for hours.

May 09, 2015 8:29 AM  
Blogger Brian Breslin said...

Tom, maybe you should try this http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/2/8535259/penis-pothole-activism-wanksy-england

May 09, 2015 9:05 AM  
Anonymous mary said...

Not that i like defending the city, but the county usually maintains the roads. The best thing to do if you see one is call 311. You can report the pothole and they will send out a crew to respond. Unless people report this stuff it is likely to go unnoticed for awhile. I think they have an app now too. I have called it before and they came out the next day.

You can report all kinds of other stuff or make requests via 311 as well. I have been meaning to report that lot on the corner of day and 27th ave that has become a trash dump. The owner needs to hire someone to clean up the enitre lot, especially the right of way.

May 09, 2015 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

27th ave. is one huge pot hole, and has been for almost a decade. Your little pot hole anecdotes are laughable compared to the 4x4 Lunar adventures around there..

May 09, 2015 10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only Virginia Street and its surrounding roads get repaved and manicured over and over. On the other hand check the condition of residential streets in West Grove, North Grove and South Grove. Why? This is unfair.

May 09, 2015 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Virginia St has all the trucks coming down to the Cocowalk loading dock. I see a nice 53' Semi from Associated many mornings around 7 am. I guess the "no trucks" sign is too small. It was thoughtful that the turn lane on US 1 was lengthened to encourage more traffic to go straight down Virginia St. I'm sure the roadway isn't designed to handle the weight of all the trucks so it keeps getting holes. The roundabout gets run over by a 53 ft. trailer by the way. Lovely.

May 09, 2015 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GMAB the Commissioner would shoot any semi trailer with his weapons cache if they were to disturb his surrogate's sleep.

May 09, 2015 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

School busses and semi trucks running over the commissioner's precious traffic circle is hilarious.

May 09, 2015 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and then there is the pot hole in the middle of mcfarlan outside the Sonesta hotel that has been there for about a year??? 27th Ave is a disgrace.

May 09, 2015 8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need a new paid only entrance festival in the Grove for the fastest 53' semi in town that can clear the Sarnoff traffic circle.

May 10, 2015 5:33 PM  
Blogger I Heart Miami said...

I believe Gallagher Agency in Doral manages the City of Miami's insurance. You should be able to make a claim for your recent car damages with proof of damage/receipts (pics of potholes and car damage are also great), and a call to 311. I know a few people who have been successful with the reimbursement through this route.

May 11, 2015 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home