HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Less than smart comments

I don't like the comments, I never have. Years ago someone used to tell me that I would write things to incite comments. I never have. Ever. And I know that many of you have told me to drop the comments because they get nasty, but I do feel they are an important part of the Grapevine and in this day and age, people want to put in their two cents on everything they read. So I think it's important to leave the comments. And as for being anonymous, people feel they need to be anonymous in order to speak freely, so that's why that's allowed.

I don't comment myself, so this is a way for me to respond to some of the more negative comments. Some comments are just less than smart and meant to incite.

Here are some of the less than smart comments of the week. By the way, I don't like to call people or things stupid, but these are and of course they are by anonymous people. I've learned over the years that people just say anything without any facts to back them up:


A comment left on the Welcome to the New Grove story:

"Really? This is what passes for journalism these days? Nothing is being reported here! Tell the story about why these buildings are empty. It's because the owners are in collusion with the City of Miami to change the character of Coconut Grove and build taller buildings in these locations. It's so obvious, but everyone is afraid to talk about it. Buh-bye groovy Grove."

If this person actually was a regular reader, they would know I have touched on the issue of them building up. I don't think it's an issue at the moment at Johnny Rockets, because their goal is to put a big restaurant in the whole corner from the former Goose space to the pizza place, so I doubt they can build up with a business operating downstairs. I would assume the whole area would have to be cleared out and knocked down. There are plans for a hotel to go in behind the Engle building. I have contacted Arquitectonica but they have not responded to my questions about the plans, so that does raise a red flag.

===================================


On the Panther Coffee story:
"Sad to say but it's Bad timing for them! They are going to start the storm drainage project soon so I hope people can get access to it."


and this:

"Bad choice!!!! wonder if they know how bad are grove is doing?and its about to get alot worse"

I think that Panther is big enough of a draw that they are a destination and no one is going to keep people from getting their coffee, especially when it's Panther Coffee, they have almost a cult following. These comments are rude and not a nice way to welcome them to the neighborhood. So many times over the years, I would post a story of a new business and comments would come in saying, "I give them 3 months," "I give them 6 months," etc. How rude and negative can people be? I don't post those comments. BTW, no one said that about Panther. 

Twice when I wrote about Panther Coffee, the blog and Facebook numbers have been off the chart. People are so excited, so these two negative comments mean nothing to Panther or to everyone else. Thousands of people have literally committed to go to Panther already. If only a fraction of the people who "liked," shared and said they would go, actually go, Panther will be quite busy for years to come.

Yesterday, there were lines up to 25 people deep for most of the day. Opening day. Let's see if that trend continues.


===============================

This one on the lack of parking story:

"Say what? 1st the word is no one comes to the Grove. Then the word is there are no parking spaces, but the garages are full. If this were true that would translate into people driving into the Grove - - - - just to park. Not to eat, shop or enjoy all that the Grove has to offer. Or it could mean that the Grove provides one hell of a lot of jobs and the employees are using up all the spaces. Or it could mean that a lot of people come to the Grove, disappear and their cars are stolen and shipped to Cuba. Or it could all mean absolutely nothing!?"


It's almost accurate, the Grove does have a hell of a lot of jobs, one ad agency alone has 600 employees, I am sure they don't all drive to work, but in a garage that holds 400 or so cars, that's where all the spaces are going. The Mayfair, Oak Street Garage and others are crammed, with usually no spots, and almost daily, there is a sign and a guy out front telling people the lot is full. This is during working hours on weekdays. The BID and others have had meetings regarding the parking situation, so we all didn't just make it up. As for people visiting the Grove, I assume the bulk of people come on weekends and evenings and we didn't say there was a parking problem in the evening or weekends.

Keep the comments coming. They make for a good laugh sometimes.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I still don't understand is why would you have a spot like J. Rockets shut down for years. There are many in the Grove.

Are there Ghost tenants paying rents during those years? I can understand a place being empty for months, while some changes or construction take place. But if nothing happens for years, they're obviously losing income, besides hurting the Grove.

It has to be bad management, period. Those Obama developers just have too much money to play with.

May 26, 2015 7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, you are truly a hero for having the size of balls to uphold everyone's right to write. You are a thorn in the eye of everyone who want to erode this constitutional right.

May 26, 2015 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is an Obama developer?

May 26, 2015 1:43 PM  
Anonymous gw said...

You have to laugh at people who have to bring up Obama at every turn.

Why not turn that comment around and say it must be some conservative developer who is wearing down the city council by leaving that corner empty and ugly looking so his plans for an inappropriately large building will be approved as a good alternative.

May 26, 2015 4:20 PM  
Anonymous JC said...

I am glad you allow comments on each article. While I understand the frustration at some of the less than intellectually rigorous comments, when you regularly editorialize via the grapevine articles rather than sticking to only reporting objective facts, it is only to be expected that people will respond with their own subjective take on events in the Grove. This open debate is what democracy needs, even if some of the commenters do not abide by standard norms of decency and politeness.

May 26, 2015 4:26 PM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

I only editorialize because years ago when I stopped doing it, people told me they no longer liked the Grapevine, they said if they wanted to read dry news, they would read the Herald. So I went back to adding my little bit to the stories, because many people asked for it. And that is what a blog is all about, it's not just dry facts.

May 26, 2015 4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chronic complainer with horrible grammar and spelling (the "bad choice!!!!" comment) is constantly trolling with their negativity and lies.

May 26, 2015 4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regular readers can separate the wheat from the chaff.... silly comments are funny :)

Marc

May 26, 2015 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Joy said...

I enjoy the comments. It adds color. But, I read the Grapevine bc of what you write each day! Thanks!

May 26, 2015 9:59 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

It's all Obama's fault. LOL. Where else can we voice or in this case, write our opinion about what is going on in the Grove? It's nice to know I'm not alone in my frustration. Your blog is the best way for me to find out what is happening in the Grove. Keep up the good work!

May 27, 2015 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the comments, and I'm a big believer in the bad speech is good for us/ bad speech more speech philosophy. People who say dumb things or terrible hateful things only make the rest of us realize where the line is, and more talk usually straightens it out or makes the issue more clear.

Also, it's fun stuff, and it's ok for comments to be silly.

May 27, 2015 11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to thank you for what you do for Coconut Grove. Your work and this forum add to what makes the Grove a community, not just a geographical area.

May 30, 2015 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home