HOME   CALENDAR OF EVENTS    AD RATES   33133 STORE   PARKING MAP

grapevine-restaurant-head

Daily updates on what's up in Coconut Grove and beyond including Brickell, Coral Gables and Midtown Miami

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Message to City: More police officers needed

Tonight is the night. At 5:05 pm at City Hall, in the Commission Chambers, a large group of Grovites will be in force to "make" the City of Miami hire more police in light of the rise in crime. Ironically, the police chief, Manuel Orosa, says that crime is not up in Coconut Grove and and that "In reality crime is one percentage point below last year.”

Tell that to those who have had their houses broken into, and to my friend's daughter who had her iPhone jacked at 1 in the afternoon, in front of a church this past week, and to all the people who suffered bicycle thefts and car break-ins. To those people the crime is real. And scary. I had a friend last week who did not attend a City Hall meeting on crime in fear of his bicycle not being there when he exited the crime meeting! True story. How can people live like this? 

Residents would like to see $10 million diverted to new police officers. District 2 Commissioner Marc Sarnoff, has been asking for 100 new police officers for quite awhile now. Not for Coconut Grove, of course, but for the City of Miami in total.

Grove activist, Fernand Amandi, is asking that all Grovites who are able, to come to tonight's meeting to show a large turn out of support.

Fernand was instrumental in getting over 200 people to City Hall last week. “We cannot stress enough how important it is to have a strong, in-person turnout of Grove residents to demand proactive, short-term AND long-term solutions on this crime problem from our city and law enforcement leaders,” Amandi wrote in an email last week, which brought neighbors together in force.

Again, the meeting is tonight, 5:05 pm, Thursday, September 12, at City Hall, 3500 Pan American Drive.

FEEL FREE TO SHARE THIS STORY ON YOUR SOCIAL NETWORKS
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow $10 million to hire more cops? The (broke) city needs those funds as a way to entice someone to make Sarnoff's crappy film studio a little less crappy and no more usable for its stated purpose.

September 12, 2013 8:49 AM  
Blogger Sledge said...

Wasn't Coconut Grove just voted THE "safest city" in Miami? It was. With limited budgets, they should spend whatever monies our taxes give them where there is more crime. Here in the grove you get a stolen bike every 3 months, that's about it regarding "crime". Compare that to other neighborhoods..

And I say that living in the Grove.

CI

September 12, 2013 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A stolen bike every 3 months is the extent of crime in the Grove? Really? I take it you don't remember the "red haired bandit" or whatever. Just a few days ago a storefront on Grand Ave had its front window smashed. Once again, you're exaggerating.

Also, the "safest neighborhood" thing is from 2010.

September 12, 2013 11:52 AM  
Blogger Sledge said...

Anon, you obviously have no sense of perspective. .. what "red haired bandit", that's beyond laughable, did he steal some candy 5 years ago? A window smashed? cry me a river.. you obviously don't know what real crime is or how to measure Statistics.
CI

September 12, 2013 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"you obviously don't know what real crime is or how to measure Statistics."

Says the guy who wrote "Here in the grove you get a stolen bike every 3 months, that's about it regarding "crime"."

http://coconutgrovegrapevine.blogspot.com/2013/05/be-on-look-out.html

September 12, 2013 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Police Are Not Personal security guards ! IF YOU WANT THAT LIVE IN A GATED NEIGHBORHOOD ! POLICE Can not Protect you from CRIME!THAT IS YOUR JOB ! Their ONLY JOB IS TO ENFORCE LAWS, HOW ABOUT SOME PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! YOU NEOGROVITES ARE AS DUMB AS THEY COME !

September 12, 2013 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At last nights budget hearing I was very shocked to see that when the commissioner asked the police chief how many police officers are patrolling the street, the chief could not answer. When they continued to press him he admitted that out of a total of 1,100 police officers on the miami department there were only 400 police officers TOTAL patrolling the streets in a marked car. thats less then 40% of the police department. What are the other 60% doing. WHy do we need to hire more officers when so many are doing some other job?? Should we have these officers on the street and find someone else to do desk work? This is absurd that the only discussion is pay more in taxes to hire more when less than half of them are protecting us in the street.

September 13, 2013 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home