HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Let's talk about our local restaurants

I've had a few great lunches at local restaurants. I had forgotten how great Barracuda's famous fish sandwich is and I had that yesterday, a friend and I stopped in for lunch. The presentation alone was incredible and of course the sandwich itself, I could probably eat it daily, I wish I had taken a picture.

I eat fish a lot at Focaccia, too. I usually order the salmon or mahi and then I have spinach, broccoli and mushrooms with it, can't get much healthier than that. Sometimes I'll run next door and grab a special juice concoction at The Last Carrot that Erin makes me. It's beet juice with a bunch of other stuff in there.

I've stopped in Focaccia a few times for breakfast and they really make a great one at a very reasonable price.

Speaking of healthy, one of the most healthiest things I get for lunch is at The Cheesecake Factory, yup, I know. When I check in on Facebook, people always make comments about me not eating healthy, but I don't order cheesecake, I get the Thai lettuce wraps and broccoli. That's it. The last time I had cheesecake there was a couple of weeks ago when it was National Cheesecake Day, how could you not have it then?

I go to The Bookstore most weekend mornings after the gym and get breakfast there, they make anything you like from scratch. I'm not a breakfast person and I usually drive them crazy with not knowing what to order. I personally would prefer lunch for breakfast. For the longest time, I would go to Subway and get a turkey sub with avocado. It was the avocado I was really after. I try to eat it daily.

The Bookstore also makes excellent tuna salad, chicken salad and grilled cheese. That and a cronut and you're set!

The Grove Spot always has something new daily on the menu and it' really gourmet food that they prepare there. I had ribs the other day with some kind of special cole slaw, it was warm, I forgot what Olav called it, but it was incredible. A regular item I order there a lot is the Cobb Salad, that's really great.

A funny thing is that when I had ordered Cobb Salad at a couple of places recently, I got crab salad instead. I don't know if my eyes were bad and it said Crab Salad on the menu or not, but I got the Crab Salad. But at The Grove Spot, you can get a "real" Cobb Salad.

At Greenstreets I usually order the mahi, too, sometimes the steak. When I was recovering from my recent sickness, I felt i needed red meat, so I ordered steak there a couple of times. Which was great.


I go to the Sandbar for fish tacos often, but I usually end up with something different. I love their flat breads. Greenstreets has an excellent choice of flat breads, too.

My new favorite place is Pauloluigi on Bird Avenue. I have only gotten the chicken parm there, it comes with spaghetti and a great little salad. There's so much, I usually get two meals out of it. Everyone who has talked about the place has only said good things, and I have to agree. I've been there quite a few times, it's take out or delivery only.

I used to eat at Bombay Darbar about three times a week, I am not there often, I need to go back.


I love the chicken salad at Mr. Moe's, it's not chicken salad with mayo, like you would get in a sandwich, it's a large salad with chicken and their fish sandwich is just as great at Barracuda's which I think is the same recipe since John invented it at Barracuda years ago, I am told.

I know I'm not mentioning all the Grove restaurants here, but these are a few of my favorite things. 

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious, why do you always call it Greenstreets opposed to Greenstreet?

August 13, 2013 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the little taco shop?????any good?????

August 13, 2013 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Taquito is by far the best NEW food spot in The Grove. Hole in the wall joint with amazing (freshly -made-before-your-eyes) authentic Mexican food and carry out takes 10 minutes. Awesome.

August 13, 2013 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New? El Taquito has been around for years! Regardless of age, they're food is, indeed, delicious.

August 13, 2013 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaguar has been one of the best restaurants in the Grove. Good food and good service. Lokal hasn't disappointed me yet either.

Mr. Moe's and Sandbar have declined in food quality and service so much over the years that I rarely go to either place anymore.

August 13, 2013 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think i want El Taquito now thanks guys

August 13, 2013 4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another, "NEW" incredulous comment... Pauloluigi's NEW?? They're a Grove INSTITUTION! So glad they're back!

August 14, 2013 10:15 PM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

Don't be so rude. You know what we mean about it being new. Mr. Anonymous expert.

August 14, 2013 10:25 PM  
Blogger Brian Breslin said...

the best lunch deal in the grove is Neighborhood Bistro on bird. Their service is nothing to brag about, but their food is always very good, and lunch is $8.25 and you get a full plate of food and side.

Too bad you can't get a decent cuban coffee or fresh pastry anywhere in the grove (i mean grove village boundaries,across us1 there are several cafecito places).

August 15, 2013 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

El taquito is the BOMB! and I hate that word. The rest of these are great suggestions too, but I must admit I've never had my skirt blown up by anything Greenstreet(s). It's never bad, but also never worth mention.

August 15, 2013 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home