HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

This is why we can't find new blood

Last week I invited people on Facebook to come to the Village Council meeting. So many people complain about what is going on or not going on in Coconut Grove, yet they never participate in anything from Village Council to BID meetings to Chamber events. So I thought it would be nice to have some new blood attend.

What I didn't realize that what is normal to me and many others, is horrifying to those looking in on meetings. To me the quarreling and squabbles are just what goes on here, even at Bed Race meetings there have been knock down drag out arguments. I just thought that that was how it is. Apparently not.

Matt Herzberger, a Grovite, came out to last week's Village Council meeting to sit in and see what it was all about. The next day, he left this message on the Grapevine Facebook page:

"The meeting wasn't exactly an awe inspiring display that lifted my spirit and makes me want to get involved. Quite the opposite, I thought the demeanor of those in the crowd and some members of the council was very unprofessional. There was so much bad blood displayed I really couldn't believe what I was seeing. Maybe you have become immune to the way things are at these meeting but I was genuinely disappointed by the lack of respect shown to the council. I work in the world of academia and this quote seems fitting "Academic politics (insert village politics) is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low." Further more, going to your post recently about the BID and there being so many representatives for such a small area. Then also learning of even more oversight groups was a real eye opener to me. To use a sport analogy championships are won by teams not individuals. I think the Grove needs to get it act together and start thinking with that mentality before things will ever turn around."

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sledge said...

Matt is absolutely right. I also sat back during that meeting, which was a mess for various reasons, besides the obvious bad vibes floating around:

- The tree issue took most, if not all of the agenda: booooringgg, if you ask me. Even for fervent "environmental advocates" and activists as many of us are. Sadly, City Hall and the big-money contractors will continue to throw their weight around, and go where the money is. Some trees will pay the price. I think we'll survive. Nature will eventually prevail.

I simply don't see that as the Grove's main problem or concern, especially when we know there's little we can do against Sarnoff and his well-oiled BID machine.

And with all due respect, it got even more boring with Liliane, and her tireless, monotone voice taking most of the time, going on and on and on, about the same issue. Kudos to her efforts, but that's not how you keep a livey crowd, or attract new participants.

These Village council meetings need some spice, better moderation, and more diversity.

They should spend more time addressing other big issues, you all know what they are, so that everyone is interested and gets involved. Allocate more time for other people to speak, avoid endless 2 side confrontations, as we just saw.

Talk to guys like me me about the Waterfront, the parks, the streets for cycling, pedestriasn or runners, , the cheesy, stupid and suspicious sidewalk project on center Grove, the playhouse, the 3am closings or what not.. then you really might see some "young blood" on the move.

CI

February 07, 2012 2:42 PM  
Blogger Brian Breslin said...

I agree with CI on this.
At least an hour was wasted on the tree thing, with nothing other than David Collins being asked to remove himself from the board being accomplished.

I'm all for saving trees, I think trees are one of the defining characteristics of the grove. However, I think that trees can be replaced. I also don't agree with the excuse saying businesses won't come here because of shitty sidewalks. They are not coming here for a littany of other reasons.

Things that matter more to me as a constituent and frequent (although less so in recent months) patron of grove businesses are the following things:
3am closing
the playhouse
the parks
the waterfront
the role of each organization in making stuff happen.

I would like to see better moderation and time limits on people's arguments, some people hogged the podium so to speak.

February 07, 2012 4:52 PM  
Blogger Sledge said...

"Echoes", one of my favorite Pink Floyd tunes.

February 07, 2012 5:12 PM  
Blogger Papidontsurf said...

More advanced notice of meetings/events might yield a different result. Ghetto behavior is usually a function of education.

February 07, 2012 6:09 PM  
Blogger Brian Breslin said...

@Papidontsurf
I think they post on grapevine here the events in advance. Not sure if its a regularly scheduled event though (like every first tuesday),
However, the village council site should list the next 3 at the very least.

February 07, 2012 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home