HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Comments -- the bane of blogging

As many of you know, my goal this year is to be a syndicated daily cartoonist, I am working on that project now. If that doesn't happen, I will publish daily and promote through other media outlets including social media.

But anyway, since I am in cartoonist mode, I read various cartooning things daily including The Daily Cartoonist. I found it very interesting to read that Alan Gardner, the editor and publisher, has decided to end the comments section just as I had almost a year ago.

He gives the same reasons that I did at the time. And I feel it will make his life so much more easier. People don't get it that we blog as a community service, it's not our full time job and to put up with the nonsense that comments bring is not part of the job (neither is the actual blogging, but we like that part). I have been told that I have been humbled by so-and-so or that I was "shut down" by so-and-so, and all sorts of things, but the honest truth is that moderating the comments is a full time job. And not a fun one at that.

Refereeing fights and posting things you know not to be true, just isn't the right thing to do. One reader of The Daily Cartoonist says it best, "Internet places — newsgroups or forums or listservs or whathaveyou — have always had life cycles that often involve intelligent discussion being drowned out by flames, and flamers, but just as often involve knowledgeable discussion being drowned out by cocksure ignorance."


Anyway, I just thought it was interesting. Here's Alan's post on the comments being discontinued over at The Daily Cartoonist.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.