HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Friday, August 14, 2009

Being human; let's all try it

I was walking down the block on Saturday and notice a work crew cleaning up the streets. They were the new people hired by the BID. I thought, "This is cool, they're doing a great job."

As I walked by one of the ladies, she greeted me with a big smile and said, "Good morning!"

I was shocked. A stranger saying, "Good morning!" Strangers usually act like you don't exist. This was nice. This could be the start of something nice. Being human. Let's all try it!

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news :)

August 14, 2009 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say things like "good morning" to random strangers all the time and usually just get glared at in return. Yesterday I tried to open a door for a guy with his hands full and he never said thank you.
I often wonder how (and why) people can go out of their way to be so rude.
It would be nice if more people thought about being human every once in a while. Good blog post.

August 14, 2009 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Jobie Steppe said...

SERIOUSLY EXTREME REACTION: I've placed art objects outside my home, on Gifford Lane for passersby to enjoy. Many people throughout the years stopped, said hello and we communicated hundreds of times about the art. The City of Miami Code Enforcement Department issued me code violations and they have actually stated on record that such activity was "the exchange of emotions" and have fined me $150.00per day for this exchange of emotions and have placed a lien on my home for over $50,000.00, to date. I never knew that it was unlawful to be human and be nice and exchange emotions.

August 14, 2009 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Runners and bikers tend to say hello and smile to each other way more often. You get to know the neighbors' faces and meet them eventually. Give it a try tomorrow morning, for instance, after 6am S.Bayshore drive is PACKED with runners and bikers saying good morning to all! CI

August 14, 2009 2:44 PM  
Anonymous Proud to be Anonymous said...

Great, everyone should greet one another, saying hello or good morning is the opposite of showing aggression. That is how we should promote Grove, a peaceful, friendly neighborhood. Now let's hope locals and residents will start treating one another with love.

August 14, 2009 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Proud to be Anonymous said...

Also have you seen those bumper stickers that say "I <3 NY" we should make some that says "Coconut Grove Loves U"

August 14, 2009 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of the people walking dogs say hi to each other... one of the reasons I decided to stay in the Grove actually.

August 15, 2009 5:43 AM  
Anonymous Father of eight said...

People tend to reflect others. If you don't get a lot of smiles and greetings from others, check yourself in the mirror.

August 15, 2009 1:45 PM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

I say hello and smile to 99% of the strangers I see on the street. 10% smile and say hello back. That's Miami for you. Not like that in NY, Boston or even Ft. Lauderdale.

August 15, 2009 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home