HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Thinking back to the Grove Cinema days

The New Times has this cool 21-year-old advertisement (from 1988) for the Grove Cinema and the Hi-Volt Video Nightclub. All older Grovites know that the Grove Cinema was on the corner of Grand and 32nd Avenues, where the post office is now. (The post office was next door and much smaller than it is now).

The claim to fame was the Friday night showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show for oh so many years. It was a real institution. But the ad shows other things for the week in June 1988: The SKUM movie, Progressive Night,Rock and Roll and more. The ad is here. I didn't want to lift it without permission.

I have copies of the old Coconut Grove Grapevine, the newspaper that I worked on as a kid in high school. I did the graphics and typesetting back then. I'll post some of the ads or pages soon. That goes back to I think 1983 and 1984. Glenn Terry and Jack King worked on that old Grapevine, too, as writers.

And for the person who is concerned about the clip art that I sometimes use, I am in the graphics business, I have access to paid (and free) clip art. It's a legal industry.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian Breslin said...

when i was a little kid I would go with my dad to the grove cinema for the monthly Amiga/Commodore64 meetup group. it was called MiamiAmigos
brings back great memories.

guess 20 years later I'm still involved in meetup groups for techies ;-)

July 01, 2009 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember even further back than that-when the Rocky Horror was shown upstairs from the Post Office when it was on Oak at Florida!

July 01, 2009 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home