HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, July 26, 2009

How I spent my evening

block1
The Summer Rendezvous block party on Commodore Plaza was another success last night. Each week more and more people are coming out. The Spam Allstars brought many of their own fans with them it seems, they had people dancing in the street, literally.

block2
Lots of friends came out. It was a nice, clear night to hang out and enjoy the ambiance.

block3
A young crowd took over the block and enjoyed drinks, food and music. Daniela was a table this week, as you remember she's been everything from an angel to the Statue of Liberty, something different each week.

I had the best bloody marys at Greenstreets with friends. We actually took the glasses from the restaurant and walked around with them, with the celery popping out. You can see those photos on
Facebook. (We did return the glasses when empty).

I used Daniela, "the table," to hold my drinks and stuff. I told her earlier that I liked when she was the angel better and the table creeped me out, but whenever I needed a table, I summoned her over, she would come over and I would put my drink down or I would use the table to write notes on a pad and she would laugh and say, "See, and you said you didn't like when I was a table!" But I did!

block4
This group of friends enjoyed George's in the Grove. Every restaurant on the block was packed.

block
Chicago's had people eating steak at tables right on the street as well as the sidewalk.

block6
Many of the Grove artists were out showing their work. I've enjoyed hanging out with friends each week and also liked running into many readers. Many have come up to me to introduce themselves and many loved when I would approach them to take their picture, telling me that they read the Grapevine daily. Meeting everyone and hanging out is the best part.

Next Saturday is the last of the Summer Rendezvous block parties. Hopefully they will bring it back full time after a little tinkering.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SEE YOUNG PEOPLE!

July 26, 2009 4:26 PM  
Anonymous sailfast said...

My wife had her nails done at 9:00 PM. How Devine!! Even This & That had a record amount of customers, until they closed also late. Love every minute, let the Good Times Roll.

July 26, 2009 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anthony Noboa said...

This is wonderful news for the Grove especially Commodore Plaza- great job BID! And also the weather cooperated- Thank God! Let's see if we can continue this through the end of the summer so we don't loose the momentum. Thoughts: Maybe have some weeks for the holiday months of November and December..

Anthony Noboa
President-Coconut Grove Chamber of Commerce

July 27, 2009 8:25 AM  
Anonymous that guy said...

This will only get better if it's kept going. Last weekend, I went with freinds, none of whom had gone any previous weeks, because everyone's been out of town and traveling. Summer is the hardest time to get something like this going, and the fact that it has worked reasonably well, is a credit to the organizers. Now, let's keep doing it into September and October and see a huge turnout.

July 27, 2009 10:12 AM  
Anonymous AnaJ said...

I went and had a great time with friends. I will say though that it was disappointing not to see a bigger turnout. It seemed that the promotion for this event was very weak. I didn't see news of Spam being the headliner until just a few days before the event. As soon as I had something to share, I e-mailed the notice to all of my friends encouraging them to come. Where is the info about what band will headline this coming Saturday? =(

July 27, 2009 2:41 PM  
Anonymous that guy said...

Agreed Ana, I found out about the Spam Allstars here, and when I told friends they had no idea. Luckily a few didn't have plans and came out. It appears that the grapevine is the only source of news/promotion for this event.

Someone needs to call the new times and get events like this listed in their night and day section - The grove events are never listed there, and I assume it's because no one is making that effort. Please someone from BID start using this source, it's how many people figure out what to do with their weekend.

July 27, 2009 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home