HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

There is plenty of opportunity for artists in the Grove

Someone asked me this question: "Don't you feel/think it is difficult for the average Joe to get their art in front of the people, specifically in the Grove area?"

The Grove has so many outlets for "real" art. What I mean by "real" art is art (and crafts) created by the artists representing it. Now if you mean can I buy items in Taiwan and sell them on the corner, no, you can't and I don't think this is the case in many cities. I do think that Mayfair will rent you a kiosk for that, so you really are not shut out completely.

If you paint, make jewelry or do photography, I would have to say you have a home in the Grove, almost on a constant basis. We have so much going on and so many galleries who want to represent artists. They would love to see your work.


I had someone email me about the Mad Hatter festival the day of the event, asking to participate. I emailed her a form and she had a tent up within hours. That's fast.

We have the Banyan Festival coming up and we have a paint out and En Plein Air event each year (that's Dan Bondroff at the last one). We have the Grove Arts Festival and St. Stephen's Fair, I know I was at an art event at our local churches more than once during the year. Each one has an arts and crafts fair of their own on a smaller scale.


The GroveHouse is always looking for local artists and we have an Art Stroll once a month, where I think people would love for artists to participate. And don't forget the Gifford Lane Art Stroll each March. We also have the Breakfast with the Artist series, which is always looking for art.

The list goes on and on. We are going to have artists on the streets doing their thing each weekend coming later in the month. So you see, I don't understand how it is difficult for an artists to get their art in front of people in the Grove.

Right now there is art from students hanging at galleries in the Grove and even at the Arts and Mind School.

We even have a handful of restaurants who display and sell art. There is also the Woman's Club and so many other venues who promote and share new artists with the world. Until recently we had Tu Tu Tango, which was a very good outlet for artists.

If you do a search (in the box at the top of the page) for any of these events, you'll see the stories and photos come up from all the past events.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Grape, but my point is not registering-----read what you write, read it carefully. You state there is plenty of opportuntity, that I can go to Mayfair and rent a Kiosk, that I can enter the Gifford Lane Art Stroll, that I can ask a restaurant to display my art tiles or go here or go there, that there is plenty of opportunity, but first I must ask for some kind of permission and fill out some various type of forms and seek another persons permission.

No I don't---period!

Go to metnews.com/articles/2007white083007.htm. Remember the United States Constitution, the first amendment and freedom of expression that so many men and women have died and sacrificed for? I do not need another persons permission or forms to express myself any more that I have to pay someone to breath fresh air. Hardly anyone, perhaps you too, have failed to realize that I break the tiles I commissioned and have made/produced hundreds of mosaic original pieces of art, namely tables at great expense and time.
I fully understand and appreciate the great need for organization, law, rules and regulations and forms and waiting for permission and waiting in lines, I understand all of this, but no thank you, not for me. I would rather be dead than live out that kind of existence. Since receiving my driver license I have never taked any kind of self-employed work when I had to get somewhere by going in the same direction as rush hour traffic. So, I'll just display my original art mosaics on public property, in front of my home in the spirit of an "OUTSIDE" artist. "JUST THAT" is what people really love and I know because several thousand, yes, several thousand individuals and families have come by my home, as I stand outside making my art and have told me so. They come to the Grove to see my art and many go downtown Grove to see a movie, to eat, to have a cocktail, but the art brings them in. The numerous stories in all those papers, code enforcement, I'm just an outside artist, i.e., an artist who literally stand, usually outside of their home, produce some form of art and as people walk by, passersby, they stop and communicate and the subject matter is always pleasant and involves the art so I use this platform to communicate with other people, hense, outside artist.

sincerely, thank you for this vent, wow, I think I forgot to take a breath there-----sort of like someone who called me a few night a go, okay, I can see we're getting friendly here, at least I hope so.

February 03, 2009 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jobie, take a deep breath and go smoke another doobie already.

February 03, 2009 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grape, Good God, I never thought in a million years that would get printed; it was intended for your edification, but I don't mind at all because it is all the truth.

To cmon now, perhaps years ago but that stuff would (literally) kill me today, A-type personality--------hey, that was anonymous?

February 03, 2009 2:20 PM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

If you don't want comments printed. Don't type them in the comments box here.

February 03, 2009 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grape, understood, no problem. E.mail, right? This form of communication is completely new to me. Must learn the rules, okay.

February 03, 2009 3:12 PM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

Yup, emails are kept private, but the whole point of the comments section is to share the comments.

February 03, 2009 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hence the use of the tab labeled "publish your comments" that you clicked at the bottom of the page.

Just out of curiousity, since I have looked at this set or restrictions for SD2, what is legal as far as street art displays, sales, etc.? I know you're not an attorney grape, but I figured you've looked into it, otherwise, I'm sure some readers around here are.

February 04, 2009 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To: That Guy Said. I'm not an attorney either, but there is a precedent federal case that specifically deals with your question. Go to: www.metnews.com/articles/2007/white083007.htm. If this business model and concept came to fruition throughout the Grove the heyday artist community that the Grove was noted for would return in less than 6 months and the people would go out of their way to visit our community, use our eateries, nightspots and shop in our stores en mass, even in this economic downturn simply because the Grove would be different as it would be free and appealing to all artist.

February 05, 2009 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Jobie and That Guy there's more.
If you pull up www.metnews.com/articles/2007/white083007.htm and and read that federal judge Cooke ruled that the City of Miami Code Enforcement Dept. has no legal standing to issue code violations against Miami Citizens who they feel are engaged in a business inside of their homes when in fact no people are visiting that home to conduct business and this coupled with the former 083007.htm that artist are allowed to sell their works on any street or public place, including the public parks anywhere in the United States without having to ask permission or pull a permit-------period. Translated, that means the artist can legally sell their art in Coconut Grove, Florida on any sidewalk or park and that will attract many tourist and locals to come back into a Grove that is free from restrictive type personalities.

February 05, 2009 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home