HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I can see why people don't vote

There has to be an easier way.

I went to vote yesterday at the Science Museum, which is where my precinct votes. It was about 9:15 am, there was no one in there except the poll workers, about 12 of them, and one guy in front of me who happened to be former Mayor Manny Diaz.


There were seven poll workers at the tables where you sign in. But for some reason, only one was assigned to help Manny and myself, since we were both in the same book.

The guy helping us was totally incompetent. Now I know it's a thankless job, working at the polls, it's long hours for little pay, but I do think the people should have a run through before they take the stage. And if one is occupied, I do believe that the others sitting there should have some means to help those next in line, rather than just sit there and twiddle their thumps trying to make jokes to awakwardly pass the time.

The guy helping Manny had no idea who he was, even though he was the Mayor for many years. He grabbed his ID and fumbled through the book. He managed to find Manny's name and hand him a Republican ticket, Manny told him that he was voting Democrat, the guy wanted to argue that Manny was a Republican. Manny actually had to prove it to him, by showing him the voter ID card. I don't think the poll worker even looked at the card, he was using the driver's license only.

Next, as Manny walked away, he realized he didn't sign his name in the book, the guy forgot to have him actually sign in, so Manny came back and told him, "You forgot to have me sign in." The guy then asks for Manny's ID again -- his driver's license. He couldn't remember the name and he didn't have a clue who it was.


He fumbled again, not finding the name and this whole check in for Manny took about 20 minutes or so. I was tempted to walk out a couple of times, but I don't think I ever missed a vote since I first started voting at 18, so I wasn't going to miss it now.

I patiently waited, Manny was very patient, and finally we got through the mess. I wanted to start yelling and I am sure Manny did, too, but we both kept our composure as to not make spectacles of ourselves.

Now remember, there were only two of us. I was wondering how they were going to handle three or four or five people at a time. One lady said to me, embarrassed by watching her co-worker stumbling, "We've been here all morning." Meaning they were exhausted. Mind you, it was only 9:15 am.

I'm sure it was a long day for those people.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took about 20 minutes? You really are the biggest drama queen that the Grove may have ever seen!

Publishing this story of your little day at the polls does absolutely nothing but two things:
1) Shows what an ass-wipe you are; and
2) Discourages others from voting in the future.

I'm sure you got over your whiny morning by having a few brioches and scones while chatting with other unemployed clowns at Greenstreet.

I know you won't publish this comment but it has been written to let you know that you are a first class fruitcake.

August 15, 2012 11:10 AM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

#1) It was 20 minutes for him and 20 for me, that's 40 minutes to vote with two people in the room. Not acceptable.

#2 At least I post using my real name, not like slimy anonymous name calling quote

#3 Don't be jealous of the people who don't have to work

#4 I have three jobs, including the Grapevine, my "real business" and my cartoon site, drawing and publishing cartoons daily for various newspapers and online publications.

#5 Your jealousy is so crazy, I have your ISP and can track you down now.

So there!

August 15, 2012 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classic Miami BS on the part of the above poster.

Don't address the the problem that was pointed out. Better to harrass the one who pointed out the issue ans slander them.
Sounds like a professional Miami politician to me.

OF

August 15, 2012 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the voting booths were replaced with devices that look more like slot machines, there would be a line around the museum and people screaming, clamoring and fighting to get to them to vote, not a teenie weenie 16% turnout, as Al Crespo likes to say "It's Miami Bitches"

August 15, 2012 2:07 PM  
Anonymous 4813 said...

I was told a similar story yesterday from a friend about being handed a Republican ballot down in Pinecrest. My friend is a life-long Democrat and has never voted Republican (despite my best efforts to convert him) - so the mix-ups/lack of training is not something limited to just the Grove

August 15, 2012 2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the Water and Sewer Department Precinct on Le Jeune I also witnessed a man with No Party Affiliation came back from the booth because he noticed he had been given a Republican ballot by error, WTF, this happened around 5pm

August 15, 2012 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Original Post Guy

I wonder if you work for a living yourself.
Those of us who do cannot afford that kind of time out of our work day. That kind of incompetence forces people to choose between voting and paying their rent, which I'm sure the incumbents love.
It takes ten minutes on one's lunch break to drive thru Wendy's. Not 40 minutes for me and the guy in front of me.
It's just sad that the guy at the fast food drive thru is more competent than the poll workers.
Where do they advertise for these positions? Pizza box tops?

August 15, 2012 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also voted at the Science Museum yesterday. The people were nice, but slow. I found that the place looked a little dumpy. There were shopping bags with snacks and bags of chips sitting on their tables, many workers present but only a couple working, and the designated elections person on the side table meant to answer questions, did not have the answers. I just wanted to update my signature.
But all in all - I voted and it was fine. But I did not walk out of there feeling like it was a professional as it could have been.

August 15, 2012 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted there too. How well do they screen these people. One of the women workers went on to tell me she was crazy. She said, "really, I'm crazy. I'm manic depressive and bipolar and I take my medication every day." I just smiled and told her "that's great! Good for you ." I felt as if I was in the twilight zone at about 11 am.

August 15, 2012 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Paulette Parkes said...

So let me get this straight. You have an undesirable experience and say nothing because you "don't want to make a spectacle of yourself" and then take the time and energy to complain about it here? That's about as moronic as the poll workers! Making a spectacle of yourself is more important than trying to effect a change and speaking up? No wonder we're in the mess we're in. Grow up. Stop caring about what other people think. Act responsibly. Stop complaining.

August 16, 2012 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight....Grape should complain to the folks who obviously don't give a damn and keep his mouth shut about it in public?
Personally I think it's a good idea to put it out there and see if it was an isolated incident. Apparently he wasn't the only one and his polling place was not the only one.
I really don't get these folks who complain about Grapevine bringing up issues for discussion on a website specifically designed for just that and then throwing insults on top of it all.

Act responsibly and stop complaining? Seems to me bringing up the subject in a public form to see if it was an isolated incident or if others had the same experience is pretty damn responsible AND allows others to share their experience AND even gives folks a place to start organizing for change when they see gross negligence like this.
OF

August 16, 2012 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Rollington said...

I vote at the Frankie Rolle Center, and have always had a positive and pleasant experience there. Some of the poll workers can remember back to the days before the Voting Rights Act of 1964 when they couldn't vote. They are meticulous when checking voters in and providing the ballots. There's always a sense in the place that this is a serious business, but also the feeling that voting is a joyful act.

August 16, 2012 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I had a similar experience at the Science Museum. As we walked up the Poll Deputy was taking a nap in her chair outside-yes, really sleeping. Then while my husband and I were voting next to each other, I asked him a question and looked at his ballot. I was promptly told I was doing something illegal and to stop. I can understand if we weren't obviously together and I was looking at a stranger’s ballot. This reaction seems a bit extreme, rude and just a way for the poll worker to demonstrate power. It seemed especially ironic since I had to hand my ballot to a poll worker who clearly looked at my ballot before he put it into the machine. We will continue to vote in every election and I can only hope we see more professional poll workers in the future.

August 17, 2012 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home