HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Monday, July 22, 2019

I need a new gym

I need to find a new gym, the gyms in the Grove are going downhill real fast.

The other morning I headed to the gym bright and early, which is usually great because there are only a handful of people there and on this particular morning, the handful of people were at the equipment and stations I like to use. But get this, look at the picture here, they are sitting on the equipment playing on their phones. I mean it's bad enough when someone is using the equipment that you want to use at the same time, but this?

I walked over to the free weights and as usual, the ones I wanted were nowhere to be seen. They were not on the racks, they were not on the floor, they were nowhere. Where can 45 and 50 pound dumb bells get to?

I left and went and got breakfast.

I'm thinking of canceling my membership after all these years; maybe do yoga and/or work out at home.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a fellow member of 24 hour fitness, I whole-heartedly agree that that gym is a complete DUMP. Equipment is limited, outdated, and always dirty or (even worse) out of order. Members act like rude little children and do not put away their weights or equipment, leaving you on an endless treasure hunt for missing dumbbells. And the paltry class selection is a joke!

Months ago I heard that a new high-end gym was setting up shop in the building adjacent to 24 hours which used to comprise the protein bakery, atrium, Johnny Rockets, NY pizza place, etc... but I have not seen any movement on that end. It would be amazing if we could get an Equinox or nicer gym in the neighborhood.

July 22, 2019 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Lynne said...

Most of the new buildings have their own gyms.
24 hr has good yoga, Pilates,and Zumba classes.

July 22, 2019 4:54 PM  
Blogger GROVER86 said...

I like Youfit in Cocowalk...For $10 per month you caint beat it...Its not a high end gym, but the staff is friendly and the equipment is adequate...They keep it fairly clean , and the patrons are fine....Just a thought...I also checked out 24 hr fitness before I joined Youfit and found them unfriendly, and the membership fee was too high for that particular location....

July 22, 2019 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been at the Workout Spot since they opened almost 10 years ago. It's not large (I really dislike large "social" clubs) but they have all the equipment and free weights needed for a good workout, the equipment is kept in good working order and one of the owners (owned by 3 trainers) is almost always on site. The cardio equipment is first rate and the physical therapy practice that is located on site is also first class. They were located in the old Oak and Mary parking garage building and will be moving back there in a few months. In the meantime they are located across the street at 2875 Oak. Stop by and check them out.

July 22, 2019 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

24 hour fitness went to shit when they took down all the pictures of Shaq.

July 22, 2019 5:33 PM  
Blogger MPeggyQ said...

In contrast, Planet Fitness near me in Savannah is amazing...super clean, people are super nice, lots of equipment & everyone cleans the machines & weights after use. Took me by surprise, but we shouldn’t accept anything less. Good luck, Tom 🏋️‍♀️

July 22, 2019 9:03 PM  
Blogger chariega said...

I go to Equinox in Merrick Park. It’s close and parking is free with validation. Not cheap but well worth the cost for clean facilities, new equipment, pool, and awesome classes and instructors!

July 23, 2019 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE have been going to the Train 8Nine Crossfit gym on Bird Ave where next to Home Depot since they opened and couldn't be happier. Don't be discouraged or intimidated by the term Crossfit .. the staff and members are super welcoming for people of all ages and fitness levels. Everyone encourages and helps everyone else and it's a far better workout then doing chest day on Mondays, Shoulders on Tuesdays, etc.

July 23, 2019 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

planet fitness Little Havana, yo.

SW 8st and 8 av/$10 a month, 24/7

teenage kids who work there never stop cleaning and scrubbing and nice attitudes

July 23, 2019 11:10 AM  
Blogger Ron Jakubisin said...

I agree with the phones. But I will ask someone if I can work in. Sometimes I get a dirty look, but I say it's shared space... and you were on your phone anyway!

July 26, 2019 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home