HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Thursday, June 20, 2019

We had the very very secret special for lunch

A funny thing happened at lunch yesterday.

For the past few days I've been seeing an advertisement floating around on social media for a Grove restaurant. It's a good deal at a place I like. I have a friend who is always complaining about the cost of food in the Grove, so I showed him the ad and he said, "Let's go!" So we went.

We met up there and sat down and asked the waiter for the lunch special. He said that it was only for people who lived in the Grove. My friend and I looked at each other and said, "We live in the Grove." He then asked for ID!

So we took out our drivers licenses and showed him, a bit incredulous that this was happening, but we showed him the licenses without saying anything.

He said, "I need to see your Coconut Grove ID." I said, "I'm Tom and this is [my friend's name], that's our Grove ID." But he was serious.

I told him there was no such thing, at least not yet. With the state of our country these days, who knows if this will ever become a thing. God forbid.

He said he would have to go speak to the manager. Now let me say this, the special is about $5 off the regular price on the menu, so all this to save $5 was a bit much.

He came back and said, "OK, I have permission to serve you the special of the day." And he proceeded to do so.

I asked him if he was from another country, which he was, and I asked him about the ID. "Do you have an ID for your country to show you are a citizen of your country?" He told me he did. I asked if I could see it out of curiosity, but he said he didn't have it on him.

Later on I asked the manager about the special and told him I was going to write about it in the Grapevine, and share the info, but he told me not to.

So we had the secret special that no one is supposed to know about. And it was good. But you didn't hear about it from me.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Denise said...

I have a 33133 card. Maybe that’s the id they were looking for.

June 20, 2019 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My immediate reaction is incredulities. Or, makes no sense. The manager wants Grove residents to patronize (that's good & righteous) , but requires a non-existing Grove identity - translates into no bargain meal (That's bad, ridiculous, frustrating & a waste of my time).

June 20, 2019 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ask the manager what they meant by the Coconut Grove ID?

June 20, 2019 11:22 AM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

The waiter was new. It was his first day. I took it upon himself to ask for the ID. The manager told him to just give people the special who ask for it and not ask for any ID's at all.

June 20, 2019 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is hysterical, I love how kooky and irrational people are, keep[s us lawyers in the green !!!

June 20, 2019 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My driver license has my street address and "Coconut Grove Florida 33133" right on the face of it. Doesn't yours if you live in the Grove?

June 20, 2019 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home