HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, November 11, 2018

New London dreaming

New London, CT. Photo courtesy Destinations 360

I've been thinking of New London, CT as a place to live. No seriously. I'm very much over the Grove. It's not the Grove I love anymore. There is too much traffic, too much development and nothing that made the Grove the Grove is left anymore. Coconut Grove has been handed over to developers who don't care about the village. It's all about money. I'm not sure how this happened and I haven't met anyone who likes what the Grove has become.

I found New London on one of my many trips through New England, it's right next to Mystic, CT, both rugged, waterfront villages on the Long Island Sound. Both places were founded in the 1600s, with so much history and architecture still left from the 1700s and 1800s, like so much of southern Connecticut. History folks; respect for history, that's what it's all about.



New London has had the same view for hundreds of years. (Photo via New England Insurance).

One issue I have with Mystic is that it is part of Groton, another historic village, but being part of Groton, like the Grove is part of Miami, makes me uneasy, you know, Mystic not being in control of itself. But Groton and New London and all of the small villages in seaside Connecticut have their own government; they have their own mayor and city councils and sense of history.


The advantage of New London is that is equidistant to New York City and Boston, about an hour and a half by Amtrak, which goes right through the town; it's quite easy to get to and you can use the train and get to anywhere in New England by commuter rail. There is also a car ferry from New London to the tip of Long Island, which makes that trip easy. I'm in Riverhead, on the North Fork of Long Island and the Hamptons, in the South Fork, often, so the ferry would take me right there.

The only disadvantage of the area is the harsh winters. But I would like to spend my winters here, in Miami, but probably not the Grove.



I love walking these old streets. Photo courtesy Mayflower movers.

Anyway, that's on my mind these days.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.