HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Friday, February 16, 2018

Larry's work brings back happy memories

Larry Shane is an award-winning photographer who has done various festivals and art shows around Miami and if you don't recognize his work, you will recognize the content. Larry specializes on photographing fading images and iconic structures of Miami - things like the Orange Bowl, Tobacco Road and Fox's Sherron Inn; places you will remember fondly.

Larry will be showing, and selling his work, at the St. Stephen's Art Show this weekend, February 17-19, 2018.

I asked Larry a few questions about himself and his art.

Judge Martin Zilber, left and Monty Trainer, flank Larry Shane

TOM: Larry, work consists of iconic images of South Florida, images of places that are no longer a part of the scene, what gave you the idea to do this? Take photos of places that were on their decline?

LARRY: I've always had an interest in history, old places, roadside architecture, modern ruins, demolition and the like. Over my life I've photographed many such things in my travels however it wasn't until the recent past several years that I came to realize I could utilize these images as an art form. I'm quite proud of the niche that I've developed.

TOM: What are some of the most popular images that people like according to your sales?

LARRY: Without doubt my most popular image has to be the Orange Bowl 50 yard line followed by the facade of the stadium. Everyone has a connection to it whether it's the Dolphins, the Canes, High School games, they played in the band, concerts, etc. After that it's Tobacco Road, Jimbo's, Frankie's Pizza and the Miami Marine Stadium. 


TOM: Have you thought of getting a drone to take photos? 

LARRY: I have thought about it a lot as I like to shoot either from a high or low vantage,  however it seems like everybody is a drone pilot these days (like everybody is a photographer), but again I definitely see me learning to fly in the not too distant future. 

TOM: What's your next subject? What is the next endangered place in South Florida? 

LARRY: That list is ever growing and evolving. You'd be surprised how many things are changing as we speak. And the problem is there is often little notice given that a place will be vanishing. One day you drive by and it's just closed or demolished. Almost every day I see a story or drive by something that I put on my shoot list. In fact, as I'm writing this I just saw story about a local municipality that wants to redevelop their city property from their mid century architecture. And while everything may not be 'art show worthy,' I always want to shoot it for my historical record at the very least. And you never know what people are going to like until you present it.    

TOM: Do you use film or do you shoot digitally? 

LARRY: While I have done my share of old school hands on developing in my formative years its all digital these days. 

TOM: Who are your influences? 

LARRY: I'm a bit embarrassed to say but I'm not a student of the 'great' photographers, techniques, styles, philosophies, etc. I just shoot what I like and am always humbled, touched and grateful when people are attracted to and enjoy my work. That being said, I have many photographer friends whose work I admire and I was fortunate to have been mentored by my friend Brian Trainor who I met at local art shows I attended prior to my foray into this crazy art show game.  

TOM: What is the last thing you took a photo of? 

LARRY: I've been concentrating on Farm Stores lately after my local one, that was a part of my neighborhood my entire life, just closed without notice.  

TOM: Is there a favorite time of day or light when you prefer to shoot? 

LARRY: Well the best light is early in the morning and late in the day when the sun is lower in the sky. But I like to sleep in so it's usually later in the day. However I also love shooting at sunset and after (the blue hour as it gets dark). And I enjoy shooting at night for long exposures, light trails, etc.   

TOM: How do you cultivate a collector base? 

LARRY: Due to the nature of my work it's a bit easier than for more traditional imagery as my work evokes (ideally pleasant) memories that people connect to the places I capture. I only do a handful of art shows per year and do not even have website, much to the chagrin of my friends, associates and handlers. I don't keep an email list or database. I'm just the guy who appears at a few local shows and then disappears until next season. However people can also contact me privately to inquire about acquiring my work. 

TOM: What is more important to you when shooting photos, colors? subject? angle?

LARRY: Tom.. why don't you just ask me which is my favorite photograph? Like asking a parent which is their favorite child. Ha Ha! Anyway, I'm going to have to say the angle (composition) because without that it may as well just be a snapshot as opposed to a photograph. I'm always humbled and appreciative when people say 'you've got a great eye' or 'I love the way you captured that.' 

TOM: Larry does have a great eye and just visiting his booth will bring back memories, you'll see images you had forgotten about. Stop by and say hello this weekend. 

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home