HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

The Herald Horror

For three agonizing days last week the North Grove suffered a catastrophe - our newspapers were not delivered! The Miami Herald did not come, neither did the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal! We had no newspapers, physical newspapers that is. Yes, there are still some of us who like to hold the paper and ink in our hands and get the news that way.

Now don't get me wrong, I must read about 100 newspapers around the country through Facebook daily, you know, various articles that are posted, not the whole newspaper and also I read the comics at comics sites and I read the news from dozens of tv stations like channel 8 in Monterey, CA and Channel 3 in Phoenix, but I like holding the Miami Herald in my hands every day and reading our local news that way.

At first I thought it was just my block, but then notices started appearing on the Nextdoor app and the whole North Grove seemed to be affected. Was this one carrier handling the whole North Grove area? I guess so. I've never seen so many comments on one subject in Nextdoor before. It made me feel good about the printed newspaper business.

We (the North Grove neighbors) called and emailed the Herald but no newspapers appeared. It was very strange because even after Hurricane Andrew, where houses were gone, the Herald appeared on doorsteps, the only thing left in some cases, but there was the Herald bright and early! 


My parents always had a newspaper or two delivered. I remember the Miami Herald, the Miami News and the South Dade News-Leader arriving daily.

The Miami News is no more and the South Dade News-Leader is a weekly publication and not delivered anymore; the Miami Herald is the only game in town, that and the Sun-Sentinel, which is available daily and is the Ft. Lauderdale newspaper. There was a time when Ft. Lauderdale also had the Ft. Lauderdale News and Hollywood, FL had the Hollywood Sun-Tattler. I used to love that name.

I never liked when the Sun-Sentinel and Ft. Lauderdale News shared exact comic pages when they had a joint operating agreement. With the Herald and the Miami News, they always had their own comics pages and so did the News-Leader and Sun-Tattler.

But I digress. I don't blame the Herald for the non-delivery issue, I blame the newspaper climate in general. It's just the way things are with printed newspapers. What was once the center of the world is an afterthought now.

I was pleased to see so many people in my neighborhood concerned about not receiving the deliveries, it shows me that I'm not the only one that likes to hold the paper in my hands. But people did get crazy about not having their paper, one man said, "
I fear they have completely stopped printing now that the holiday ads are over."

Happily enough, things are back to normal, the newspapers have arrived on our doorsteps again and all is right with the world, until you read the front page, then you get depressed again about the world.


=====
Subscribe to the Grapevine and receive it daily in your email.
 Use this link.
====

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

7 Comments:

Anonymous jack said...

We in The Village West are still not getting our newspapers or if we do it comes later in the day. Calling them means nothing. I was told the delivery people are now private contractors.

January 02, 2018 6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That said here is the name and local number for the Circulation Manager. Bernie Kosanke (305)367-4727

January 02, 2018 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Central Grove, I have not gotten delivery of the Herald or NY Times since Dec. 25.

January 02, 2018 4:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Delivery of the Miami Herald is a critically important part of the process. We need to reach all of our readers. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me anytime to report a service problem.

My email is bkosanke@miamiherald.com

January 02, 2018 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We only get Sunday delivery but probably actually get it only three out of every four weeks. Center Grove had no newspaper this Sunday either so it wasn't just the North Grove.

January 02, 2018 5:01 PM  
Blogger Glen Rothe said...

Bernie was helpful in getting delivery of the newspaper back to our house when I reached out to him. Thank you Bernie for being committed to providing customer service on behalf of the Miami Herald.

January 02, 2018 8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Miami why are you wasting your time trying to raise the standards. Slackers, con-men and scammers have been thriving on the low bar here.

January 02, 2018 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home