HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Village Council Candidates Forum - Courtney Omega

Nine seats are up for election on November 7, for the Coconut Grove Village Council. 15 people are running for the nine seats. The Grapevine is giving candidates a chance to tell their story as to why they deserve your vote.  We have asked all the candidates the same five questions and we'll post the results here as they come in. 

COURTNEY OMEGA

GRAPEVINE: Why do you feel you would be a good Village Council Member?
Courtney Omega

COURTNEY: I believe I would be a good Village council addition because distinct  opportunities.  I have been blessed to experience different community cultures across the U.S. i have lived in several states as well as communities with various backgrounds and demographics. Community Service and civic engagement has been a family legacy as my grandmother was a two times commissioner and two times Mayor in Daytona Beach, Fl. Service is first choice but 2nd nature.

G: What would you like to accomplish during your time on the Council? Objectives? Projects?

C: One of my primary goals is to get more involvement in the civic engagement process for residents. Across coconut grove, there is a severe lack of the younger demographic's presence. I think there should be more of a concentrated effort to engage residents between 18 - 45. There is an initiative I have been working on called the Young Grove Alliance. I would hope with consensus from the council, we could organize efforts in broadening our reach and partnering for an impactful effect. Secondly, I plan to spend more time executing proactive plans to build accessible housing according to demographic sensitive data.
Improving transit and improving the areas to be even more walkable is also tantamount.

G: What is your favorite part of Coconut Grove?

C: Tough question! Too much to choose from.  While truly all of Coconut Grove is a treasure worth protecting, I definitely love my Florida Avenue home and the history of Florida Avenue. I also love  that it is truly in the center of the Grove. I'm close to everything. Whether Swimming at Virrick Park, making a quick run to CVS, lunching at the last carrot or taking in cultural activities at KROMA, I'm a few steps away. This is awesome for me as I do not own a car. I love the flexibility the area offers.

G: What is your least favorite part of Coconut Grove?

C: speeding through our quaint community concerns me. There absolutely needs to be a sidewalk built at McDonald and Florida. Often times while dropping my children to school at Coconut Grove Elementary, we are forced to share the road with cars. Also the speeding down McDonald to and from Grand is incredibly alarming.  One morning alone, two cars flicked off my children and myself as we crossed  McDonald one morning.

Grand Avenue has unfortunately become an eyesore however I am sure with implementing strategic business development, we can regain the appeal and luster of Grand Avenue of old.

G: How long have you lived in the Grove? Where are you from? What drew you here?


C: Though I was born in Daytona Beach, Florida the moment I met my ex husband while in my first year of college, a traveling and whirlwind adventure was born. During our marriage we lived in Arizona, Philadelphia, Virginia and North Carolina. I like to say i didn't choose Coconut Grove, the Grove chose me. As a divorced mom of two, after our marriage ended and with Kendall now being a memory, I set to find a place that was close to work at the Miracle Mile Theatre. After staying a weekend at the Mayfair, I was immediately enthralled with the cultural homes, the island vibe and the easy commute. I couldn't believe this was a place to live here in Miami. I'd been in South Florida for three years and thought communities like these were sweet dreams nestled in novels and Hollywood screenplays. Though my father is 100% Bahamian and we grew up loving conch fritters and conch salad, I didn't know what the culture truly meant. Upon being gifted "Forebearance" by Thelma Gibson, I dove in with thirsty eyes and a hungry vision.  After reading and studying and assessing,  I decided to figure out where I would be most effective,  in my home of Coconut Grove on a council that boasted such members of Coconut Grove's legacy.  I'm absolutely looking forward to serving in this capacity.  From community to culture and even the faith based presence, the Grove deserves to be resurrected,  respected and protected.  I'm here to serve residents,  neighbors, business owners, parents and our youth.  I am here because of the vision laid out by giants before me.

VC-Candidates-2017

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Family Legacy" is NOT a positive. Immediately drop that from your list of positives Courtney...

October 15, 2017 5:48 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Hi. I think family legacies are something to be proud of. From the Gibsons, Stirrups and even the Peacocks, legacies are what give the next generations purpose

October 24, 2017 12:28 PM  
Blogger bug said...

Courtney, I received a flyer in my mailbox today, it was refreshing to hear what you want to bring to the community of Coconut Grove. What I can do help on your campaign, Community Development and Restoration Projects are vital to this area in addition to all the other points you mentioned. Again, what can I do?

October 27, 2017 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home