HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Remember various bookstores in the Grove

I was thinking of The Bookstore in the Grove closing, but over the years, we have had other bookstores come and go.

I'm sure you remember Borders. That was a great two-floor location at Grand and Mary, at the Mayfair where Regus is located now. Years ago, I remember The Bookworm on Fuller Street, where Barracuda is located now. I also remember a place at the end of Commodore Plaza, where Farinelli 1937 is now, but I think that was not really a bookstore, although I do remember buying paperbacks there and a lot of times I would get the New York Times there on Sundays.

Anyone remember any other Grove bookstores in the recent past?

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Well, you know, I love to read. Actually, I'm looking at a book, I'm reading a book, I'm trying to get started. Every time I do about a half a page, I get a phone call that there's some emergency, this or that. But we're going to see the home of Andrew Jackson today in Tennessee and I'm reading a book on Andrew Jackson. I love to read. I don't get to read very much"

June 11, 2017 2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some thirty years ago, there used to be a great bookstore (Brentano's, or was that only at Miracle Mall?) on the second floor, when the Mayfair complex still had retail like Burdine's, Charles Jourdan (on Grand and Mary), and Romanoff (on Florida and Mary, where the Bookstore is now)…
Another fabulous place was a used books store held by an elderly gentleman, at the far corner of the atrium behind the Grove Spot, on Virginia St.

June 11, 2017 5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not know The Donald was a a fan of the Grapevine!

June 11, 2017 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Robin Parker said...

For F's sake Tom we don't need to know how to read or write...

We've got text- and net-abbreviations...OMG, reading and writing are dead; only for the ancients...

Just listen to today's music; primitive beats and lyrics repeated as loud as possible over and over again..The dumb are getting dumber!

June 11, 2017 7:03 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

the 2 story music store across from Coco Walk had a great book section on the second floor. Specs maybe?

June 11, 2017 7:23 PM  
Blogger REID PREATT said...

Specs (maybe) Also had one at Montys shopping plaza. But books????? Always thought Cocowalk had one (book store) on the northwest corner second story. Back when Tou too Tango was there

June 11, 2017 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The I Ching had books

June 11, 2017 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reid - Cocowalk had a chain entertainment store at the NW corner. I forgot which - FYE maybe?

June 12, 2017 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There used to be a B. Dalton Booksellers on the second floor of Cocowalk.

June 12, 2017 11:23 AM  
Blogger Marcelo Salup said...

It is sad to see so many bookstores go. And yeah yeah yeah blah blah blah with "modern times" etc. And, I'm guilty of a lot of it: I bought one of the first nooks and currently buy 100% of my books online to read on my reader. It is more portable, of course, can hold tons of books and I can adjust the type size and light.

However, a lot of these bookstores who disappeared --and especially many of the small independents-- did so because their owners never saw it as a business whose main purpose was to make money.

Books & Books, for example, is great: the cafeteria works as a cafeteria, they have lots of events, are involved in the community... but deep down, B&B's is a real business whose purpose is to make money, because you need money to sustain the business.

Nat Chediak is a great lesson on how to run a business, first and foremost, and still remain a vibrant part of our community.

June 21, 2017 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home