HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Robert Parente

Our friend Robert Parente passed away today, July 27. Many of you knew Robert, he lived in Miami most of his life.

I spent a lot of time with Robert, he was on the Bed Race Committee and other Grove groups, we went to lunch often, talked on the phone, I visited him often when he ran the Miami Film Office. He will be missed.

I remember one time when we were at an event, he liked my shoes. He said, "Nice wheels!" That always stuck with me. I think of that phrase often, I don't know why, but it makes me smile. Another time he saw I was being bullied at a meeting, it genuinely bothered him; after the meeting, he took me aside and told me to stand up for myself. When we would attend events, like chamber luncheons, City Hall meetings or parties, we always ended up being the last to leave, we had such a great time together.

In 2010, he received the Golden Coconut, a prestigious award from the Coconut Grove Chamber of Commerce. As a joke, AnnaMaria Windisch-Hunt and I brought one of the painted coconuts planned for the Coconut Hunt later in the year. It was a shiny golden coconut. He took that as the award and cherished it, not realizing that that was not the actual award from the Chamber. Here he is holding it in the photo.

From his Facebook page:


To all of our family and friends, this is Robert's sister Maria Parente Miranda posting this. I'm writing this on behalf of my dear brother Robert who is now resting peacefully. He passed away this afternoon after a long and valiant struggle with cardiac disease. Robert's personality, charm and incredible whit touched so many of our lives. He had such a knack of bringing people of so many walks of life together and wanted everyone to know how dearly he held all of you in his heart. My family and I are currently making plans for his funeral services and we will share this information with you all soon. We are so grateful for your love, prayers and endless support.

Robert, your heart was as big as the sky. I love you, and I know you would say "I love you back."

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so saddened by Robert's passing. When I first moved to Miami in 1985, I met Robert thru a work relationship (producing/staging multi-image shows). We became fast friends as we both liked to eat well (breakfast @ Denny's Moon over Miam sandwhich). I will miss him and I regret not being in closer contact. My deepest condolences to the family. May God rest his soul Wilson Alers, walers@mediastage.com

July 28, 2016 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Rosy Palomino said...

Robert was a great guy. I first met him during the meetings for Miami Neighborhoods United and other neighborhood meetings taking photos. He collected our memories.

He was always the guy that brought joy in the room. I was always happy to have him around.

Time to Rest Robert. Thank you to his family for sharing the news. Let's keep in our prayers.

July 28, 2016 3:55 PM  
Blogger Tech Consulting Miami said...

I am sad to hear of Robert's Passing i knew him from working together in Bristol's Camera, he was a funny, genuine guy. always asked me how my wife was doing . Giving me business advice and help. I remember going to Martin's in Coral Gables with him and my wife. His humor and great personality will be missed.

in manus Dei

Rest in Peace.... Robert

July 28, 2016 9:44 PM  
Anonymous Charles Corda said...

I had the good fortune to meet Robert about 32 years ago when we went through the "LeaderShip Miami" program together.

A gentleman, and gentle soul,undoubtedly one of the finest people to grow in this City. He fulfilled his role as a "future leader" with intelligence, commitment, empathy and humor.

I am lucky to have met him so long ago, happy to have known him through the years and proud to say he was a friend.

May you rest in peace my friend.

My sincere condolences to his family. Robert will be missed.

July 29, 2016 6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Robert and I met back in 2005 at a Cultural Friday's event. He was such a joy, he had a good heart and genuinely loved people. I truly enjoyed talking to him and will miss him very much! I am confident I can speak on behalf of everyone who crossed paths with him, truly blessed to have met such an amazing person!

Love you Robert - Paola Gracey

August 01, 2016 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home