HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Gators

About 20 years ago, I was lying out near the lagoon in Matheson Hammock, on the grass. It was a weekday, I thought I was alone. A couple came up to me and said, "We don't want to bother you, but you're in his spot." I looked up and a 10 foot alligator was staring at me from the water, a few feet away. I was actually in a dug out sandy spot under a palm tree, among all the grass, which he must have dug out as his spot. I got up and ran. Luckily those people were there to warn me. There were signs that said, "Do not feed the alligators," but I thought it was a fun sign for tourists, didn't realize they were living in the main lagoon. So even if there were warning signs at Disney, I wonder if people would have thought it was a cute Disney sign warning them about alligators, just as a fun thing and not as a real danger.

I went back the next day with two friends to look for him, I was told his name was "Big Joe." He was there and one of my friends would go back often to feed him bread, which is a stupid thing to do because then they get used to humans and rely on them for food.

There are still gators in the lagoon.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bread for a vegan gator?

June 16, 2016 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing about that sign Tom until several years back someone threw a hot dog in the lagoon and a gator came up and grabbed it! Made a believer out of me that the sign was real. Heard on the news a few months back about a guy that jumped into a canal at night and there were signs warning about no swimming because of gators. Needless to say he was attacked. Though they say gators usually don't attack people why find out!!

June 16, 2016 2:47 PM  
Anonymous irene said...

i was told back in the 70's his name was one-eyed joe
irene

June 16, 2016 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the bank of a canal in Ft. Pierce my son ran to jump off a dilapidated short pier. A fearful feeling, or something, compelled me to yell "NO". The day after, or shortly there after an article in the Miami Herald read a young boy was lost to a gator near that pier.

June 19, 2016 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home