HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Construction workers have no respect for our village

I get a lot of complaints from people who are tired of living in a construction zone. First it was the never ending renovation of SW 27th Avenue and now it's the construction workers that have overtaken our village. For about a year or so, they were all over the Mayfair, while turning the shopping center into offices, even on weekend mornings, there were construction guys all over the place. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but it's just that you sort of want your home back; they're like guests who have overstayed their welcome.


Even weekend mornings can become an obstacle course, because the workers think they own the streets and they block traffic whenever they feel like it, but I think the main complaint I have been getting lately is the mess that the workers leave on 27th Avenue.

 Look at these pictures, a mess. A reader sent them in. The street was newly renovated, the peanut was beautifully landscaped, and these pigs working on the new condos think nothing of throwing their crap on the ground.
I used to have a friend years ago who used to throw things out of the car window, his reasoning was that people get paid to clean the streets.

When? Where? I have never seen anyone cleaning the streets.

One time I was driving to Key Biscayne and these college guys in a truck next to me threw out a cup of soda or something on the street between our two cars at a red light. I was infuriated. I got out of my car, picked up the wet cup and threw it back in their truck window. I said, "You dropped something."

They were too shocked to beat me up so I got in my car and drove off.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes litter is a problem, especially from folks that have no vested interest in our community other then putting in their time and getting a check. So its up to Groveits, Chamber, Net, CGVC and BID to help keep our village litter free. Make sure contractors install trash cans at construction sites and empty them each day after their shift.
When walking down our sidewalks please look around and pick up litter whenever possible. It's your Grove so take care of it.

March 22, 2016 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wonder about the morons who throw their trash out the window. I'm glad you threw their garbage right back at them. Hopefully they learned their lesson.

March 22, 2016 9:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

While walking down 27th from Bird to S. Bayshore, I noticed there are no garbage cans (only a few hidden for dog relief bags). I'm sure if there were, we would not see as much waste on the ground, especially at the bus stop benches. An entry to the City's suggestion box.

March 22, 2016 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could put a feather in Mr. Russel's hat: COMMISSIONER TAKES THE TIME TO REQUEST THE DEVELOPERS PLACE OUT A FEW TRASH CANS. Jobie Steppe.

March 22, 2016 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There should always, ALWAYS be a trash can right next to a bus stop or bench. Studies prove that proper (read: logical) placement of trash cans reduce litter by a significant percentage.

As for the construction workers, it is sadly often a cultural thing. In most latin american countries, people throw trash on the ground at random whenever they like. While I have traveled extensively through central and south america, you don't have to go so far to see the proof, just go to little havana, or worse yet, little nicaragua or anywhere between 8th and flagler west of downtown. or anywhere in hialeah...

March 22, 2016 2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I think our neighbors and visitors are just as messy. I live on Virginia St and I go out a couple times a month to clean up garbage that people either are leaving behind when they walk by or are throwing out of car windows. We have a very nicely maintained swale and we have to clean it regularly from people's garbage (and dog poop). I see it all up and down the street. I clean up to help counter the inconsiderate litter bugs. Plus it makes me feel better walking around the center Grove. I guess some folks are just going to drop their trash but if some of us pick it up instead of walking by then maybe we can keep things looking nice. I wonder if the person who sent the photos picked up the trash?

March 22, 2016 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I walked up and down 27th today and you are right. There are no trash cans and trash all over the ground.

March 22, 2016 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take a walk around MacMansions under construction and you will find hundreds of cigarette butts on public right of way. There is a shortage of trash cans in Miami and no recycling options, the Europeans have been recycling cans in public places for decades, of course we leave the job to the homeless.

March 22, 2016 6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a guy who lives around the dog park who obviously feels compelled or obligated to clean up this area, almost daily! Thanks, whatever your name.

March 23, 2016 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the commenter at 2:14. I also think a large part of our littering problem is a cultural thing. I wish the Hispanic community and our schools would promote anti-littering campaigns that so many of us grew up with in the 70s. I would carry a piece of trash for miles rather than pollute God's green Earth. It drives me even crazier to see people throw their trash in our waters and our beaches.

March 23, 2016 6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drove up Tigertail from Mary and saw a construction worker actually out picking up trash. It looked like his assigned work. I guess your story was heard by the right people.

March 25, 2016 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home