Clearing things up
1) I am not a St. Stephen’s Day School parent.
2) I am not a member of the St. Stephen’s “Board of Directors” though I did serve briefly as a trustee more than a decade ago -- long before any thought of the present soccer court.
3) I was never involved in any manner in the planning, promotion, or construction of the Peacock soccer facility.
4) I was never involved in any manner in the negotiations leading to the school’s lease agreement with the City of Miami for use of that facility.
5) The Friends of Peacock Park, of which I am a founding member, never opposed roller hockey within the park and did not “rally” for its ouster.
6) I am indeed a member of the soccer community, and though I have never used Peacock’s soccer facility, I am happy to report that it appears to be widely available for public use, for free.
7) The Friends of Peacock Park remains a vocal civic advocate, most recently meeting with city officials to lobby for new policies to protect its grass playing surface from festival-related damage.
I can only speculate as to why my name has been linked with this facility, and so I will. Way back in 2003 The Friends of Peacock Park aggressively opposed a plan -- pushed by former District 2 Commissioner Johnny Winton -- to carve out a section of the park, remove a stand of trees and construct a permanent, concrete roller hockey facility. Paving green space was not progress, we argued. And we won that battle.
A year later, in 2004, the Friends hosted a community charrette for Peacock Park attended by more than 60 people, including at least one irate, disruptive and self-described “hockey mom” who to this day seems to take pleasure in unfairly distorting my record as an advocate for parks and community space. The grudge she holds for our opposition to the hockey rink will not die.
This is not the first time this women has leveled these baseless and vindictive charges in the Grapevine. I’d like to encourage Tom Falco to better screen the anonymous missives within his blog that seem to serve only to damage a reputation and to falsely inflame readers on matters of important community interest.
YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.