HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Writing about Coconut Grove history

I have been receiving nasty comments over my 10 With Tom series about the old Grove. I am not sure why it's bothering some people. The majority of people love it. I've gotten many nice emails and people have stopped me in the street to tell me. It's been shared a lot on Facebook and even Park Grove liked the interview; they re-tweeted the Bobby Ingram interview, and he was putting down condo builders! But there are still those few who are bugged by us reminiscing. I don't know why. 

No, we can't bring back the old Grove, but it's fun to remember. And I think we are mostly remembering our youth more than we are remembering the old Grove. I've been asking Grovites to speak about their experiences because we are in the Grove. I suppose I could ask some of you about your childhoods in New York or New Jersey, but it's off topic for the Grapevine.

Again, please stop asking me to stop posting stories that you don't like. If you don't like it, don't read it. We have thousands of people who like to visit us daily. Who is twisting your arm and making you read this if you don't like it? And why be anonymous if you want to legitimately want to reach out to me?

And to the person who asked me whether I am doing the 10 With Tom reminiscence interviews so that I get sappy comments. No. I'm not. And I wouldn't call people that have called Coconut Grove home, longer than you have been around, "sappy."

I'm trying to share a history of the village. A history that is fading fast. I would think people would be interested in that. But if you're not, maybe you don't belong in Coconut Grove. It will always have its history whether you like that or not.

To be honest, there is nothing going on in town anymore. There is nothing new to write about. There was a time I would post seven to 10 stories a day, seven days a week. I did this for years. I literally would attend three to four events a night, racing all over town, taking photos, mixing, mingling. Now the sidewalks are rolled up at noon. 
Now it's hard to come up with things to write about, there are no events, there are no galleries . . . nothing. 

Welcome to the new Grove. 

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

0 Comments:

<< Home