HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Friday, January 30, 2015

Playing God

It's amazing that Michael Spring has so much power over the Coconut Grove Playhouse, it reminds me of Robert Moses, shown here, who had so much power over New York City in the 1930s through the 1960s; he did good and he did bad, he's one of the reasons the Brooklyn Dodgers left for Los Angeles. He was an urban planner, but he played God. It was his way or the highway, literally, as he literally built highways and parkways and bridges and split so much of the city up over this.

Robert Moses had autonomy from the general public and elected officials. He played God. Aren't those days over? Apparently not in Michael Spring's case and even with our City Commissioners. One person has too much control without any checks and balances.  I know that everything has to pass through the Commissioners in their districts, it's just the nature of the job. When I was condo president, I knew about every move that everyone made in the building, whether I wanted to or not. Now that I am no longer on the board, I am oblivious to everything that goes on and I love it. It's true that ignorance is bliss.

When I was the condo president, I insisted that two signatures be on every check that went out. I didn't want the responsibility of being the only one. I'm not understanding this power thing that so many people have. I guess I never will. 


You can read about Robert Moses here, he was quite an interesting character. 

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Michael Spring is the county's playhouse czar?

January 30, 2015 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a freaking shame.

January 30, 2015 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will whoever's in charge of the playhouse and other highrise construction on Main Highway ensure that businesses, patrons, and residents nearby are properly shielded/protected from the toxic dust and debris from the construction and make sure that we are not overrun with vermin as so many places are when they are dug up?

January 30, 2015 4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats happened to the Playhouse is terrible, no doubt, but comparing Micharl Spring to Robert Moses is ridiculous.

January 31, 2015 7:06 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I guess I will be calling and writing the super powers in Miami Dade Monday morning. Maybe, if we complain to the right people?

January 31, 2015 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home