HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Monday, October 06, 2014

Uber is my new favorite thing

I was going to the airport the other day and decided to finally try Uber. I summoned them on my cell phone and the app said a guy named Jerry (not his real name) would be at my doorstep in 5 minuts. And he was! Right on time.


I was expecting to see a car drive up with a big pink mustache, but Jerry reminded me that that is Lyft, their competitor. Just as well. Jerry didn't want to stand out anyway, I'll tell you why in a minute. The whole procecess was amazing, especially the car. A big black Chrysler 300 town car arrived with dark tinted windows, to pick me up. This was special. I had assumed that Uber cars were just your run of the mill Hondas and Volkswagons since people use their own cars, but this is not the case.

But after checking, I see they have two services. I chose Uber Black which is the premium option, UberX is the option where anyone can drive you in their car. I didn't know the difference but I'm glad I chose wisely by accident. Uber Black follows all state laws and the drivers are specially licensed. Cars are inspected once a year and the drivers have a $1 million accident insurance policy.


He asked me to sit in the front seat because the airport personelle is still giving them a hard time and if it appears as if he his chaufering people around, he'll get fined. So I rode right next to him. That's a good reason for not having a huge pink moustache on the front grill. The ride was fast and pleasant and Jerry was excited about Uber. He says on a good week he pockets $1000. Not bad for a college student, he told me he goes to class during the week and chauffeurs people nights and weekends. 

The good part about Uber is that the charge is all taken care via the phone app, so no money changes hands except for a tip, which I gave him. He just punches in the amount at the end of the ride and the system bills your credit card on file. One problem with the whole thing is that Uber is not allowed to pick you up at the airport, so coming home from my trip, I would have to use a yellow taxi, which is night and day compared to that big black town car. Oh yea, the total for the one way trip to the airport was $21.00, which is about half of the yellow cab cost, but the good part was I didn't pay a thing because your first ride ($30 and under) is free. So all I paid was the tip. And if this was the premium option, I wonder what the cost is for the UberX (free for all) option.

I really see the yellow cab companies as dinosaurs now. You really can't beat the Uber cars with the half price charge and the cleanliness, the speed and the professionalism of the drivers. The whole app is an amazing thing in itself. The person who created the whole system really has something special there.

Now you can get $15 off your first Uber ride by using my code: UberSaveToday. Sign up here: 
https://get.uber.com/invite/ubersavetoday

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Uber is really great and after using Uber about 5-6 times already I'll probably never take a cab again unless I have to.

I've always had a great experience with Uber. A month ago when coming from the airport I debated taking the metrorail to Brickell. So glad I didn't. It cost $19.80 for an Uber to Brickell and only 20 mins. It was worth taking instead of the metrorail. The driver was also a little worried being at the airport because he didn't want his car towed.

October 06, 2014 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to be picked up at the airport, you drag the pick up location pointer outside the airport area then when the driver is assigned and responds you call or text the driver to tell them you are really at the airport.

October 06, 2014 9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty sure you're not supposed to tip them, it's included in the price.

October 06, 2014 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, 20% gratuity is automatically included. That driver got a good tip.

October 06, 2014 11:37 AM  
Anonymous That Guy said...

I've been picked up at the aiport by Lyft. It's the driver's choice to do it. Just don't let on to anyone. The driver that picked me up said the only problem they run into is when someone waiting to be picked up says to a cop or someone who asks "I'm waiting for lyft/uber," etc.

If you just walk up to the guy and say hello, then put your stuff in the trunk and jump in shotgun, it's all good. Also Lyft plus is great when you need a bigger car for more people/stuff.

October 06, 2014 12:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So exciting to have this service out there.. cant wait to use it..

October 06, 2014 3:08 PM  
Anonymous swlip said...

You can set your account so that a tip is automatically added to the bill.

October 06, 2014 5:41 PM  
Anonymous PoincianaPatty said...

I love Uber! I never want to take a dirty, smelly, rickety yellow cab again....And I don't miss the nasty cab drivers either!

October 06, 2014 9:27 PM  
Anonymous MPeggyQ said...

Yes.. this is a great thing for freelancers (such as myself) looking for some extra cash & to meet new people. I am a recent driver with Lyft and so far, everyone I have driven has been great! I also signed up with Uber and will start with them shortly. So let's keep Grove business local & support Grove drivers (such as myself!) Thanks, Tom, for spreading the word!

October 07, 2014 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home