HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The new owners are killing the flavor of the Grove

I was talking about the clash with the Drum Circle on August 2, which all started because of the complaint from a new property owner. 

It's interesting to see how new owners have no clue what the Grove is about. Is it a cut and dried cold deal with them when they buy the properties? 

It does bring up the question that when things like the Drum Circle event happen, the PointeGroup who manages a lot of the properties, says that it's a "liability issue." These are the exact words used when the peacock sculpture, Nassau Daddy, was removed by the PointeGroup from the corner of Grand and Douglas - it was a liability issue I was told. 

The new owners and building managers don't realize that while it's an investment to them, it's home to the rest of us. Once you piss everyone off, you may end up without any customers, then your tenants leave and it's just a vicious circle. It's more than just a portfolio investment to us, and the community is cohesive enough to turn its back on anyone who mocks them.

Whomever is being un-neighborly, whether it's the actual owner or management company, is doing harm; it may just backfire as people will avoid the businesses involved. They may just avoid Commodore Plaza because of hard feelings. I can just imagine the embarrassment that these people at the Drum Circle felt when confronted by the authorities, picture your parents in this situation. These weren't a bunch of kids on skateboards, they were grown, mature adults. This is how the new property owners are treating the residents, is this how they treat their own parents?

If you don't want them on Drum Circle night, then you don't want them in the daytime to spend money there, right? That's how it appears. These people that were harassed and embarrassed on Saturday night are currently the people spending money on Commodore Plaza at other times. They won't anymore if this harassment keeps up.

Moving the Drum Circle now from Commodore Plaza to another area of the Grove is going to leave that corner in pitch darkness. Rather than adding life to the area, it's going to be dark and blah.

In the days of Yelp and Foursquare, I would be polite to consumers (and drummers), not taunt them.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a center Grove resident over the past 8 years, I have seen a lot of change take place... some of it good, some of it bad. The one constant source of information about all of it has been your blog. I have come to your site daily to get news and information related to the Grove and places/events I care about. But I find myself not frequenting your site as much anymore. I just dont want to read about the negativity any more. The complaining about everything new is annoying and old.

I love the Grove. But I also recognize that not everything can stay the same. I may have not been around the Grove in the 'good old days' but I still invite people over to my place. I still go out and eat at the great neighborhood restaurants and bars. The people is what brought me here and the people are what keep me here. Change is happening all over Miami, good and bad. You can either embrace it and find your place within it or be miserable. Frankly, I choose to be a glass half-full guy. I hope your site goes back to that. Or it will lose a long time reader.

August 12, 2014 7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't add too much to the post above. I have been living in the Grove for 9 years, rather than 8. And frequented the Grove the 4 years before that, since moving to Miami. But everything else I would say the same. Read the Grapevine as a great (and primary) source for Grove news.

I am incredibly tired of the negativity and complaining and find myself reading much less often. You did not even post a story or pictures of this year's 4th of July Hto Dog eating contest, which you have every other year. Not allowed to post anything positive or fun anymore?

August 12, 2014 8:39 AM  
Blogger Tony Scornavacca Jr. said...

The Grapevine is an excellent source of information and is very accurate, based on what I've seen. Mr. Falco lives and breathes the Grove, then blogs about it. And, he's the only one that I'm aware of.

August 12, 2014 9:05 AM  
Anonymous frankh said...

Its sad to say this, but who cares. Things change, and this bohemian artistic life that people have a romantic dream about in Miami died long ago. Now with all the overseas money flooding the real estate east of I-95 there are no real Miami residents left in most of these "neighborhoods", and real Miami people can't afford the new price levels the grove is selling at. Point is money runs the world, not rainbows and good vibes.

August 12, 2014 10:18 AM  
Anonymous AM said...

Miami Beach changed for the better.
South Miami changed for the better.
Downtown changed for the better.
Brickell changed for the better.
Coral Gables is changing for the better.
Midtown changed for the better.
Wynwood changed for the better.
Cutler Bay, Pinecrest, Dadeland....all changed.

Do you see the pattern people??

Miami is the Magic City because it grows and changes at an incredible pace.

There will always be detractors but change a natural part of Miami, like weather.

August 12, 2014 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand the sentiments above, and that of the first person, but I appreciate Tom's "thinking out loud", existential, type posts wondering about what the grove is, was, and will be.

The grove was always a bit different, and I think the point he is making, that some of you are missing, is that it is being homogenized. That's sad, and certainly worthy of note.

August 12, 2014 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is wrong with residents trying to keep their neighborhoods the way they were and still are? After years of paying taxes they have earned the right to speak out, whether right or wrong. The Grove has a long and charming history. Nothing wrong with keeping it that way. I don't believe south beach has gotten better unless you're into the disco euro-trash crowd. A jewel or art-deco architecure is now gone. You can't even appreciate what is left since all the restaurants have invaded sidewalks with tables and umbrellas. Go to lincoln road.
I don't thing soho has close to the charm it once had, nor does sobe. Brickell has been completely transformed. Look, the Grove is a ghost town. Businesses are not doing that well. People walk around and don't shop. Ask a tourist and they will tell you downtown ccg is a let down. Not what they expected. Change is good, i agree, but keep some of the areas with some charm. The way most Grove residents want. I also think there is a huge distaste for our politicians. This blog has many positive things, but the bad must also be featured before it is too late. if you want to read something with no "negative" comments try a tourist guide or promotional/sales materials for the new Dubai condos going up. Talk about photo-shopping.

August 12, 2014 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The liability issue is a real one that I face everyday as a property manager. Have the organizers of the drum circle get their own liability insurance and list the property owner as a loss payee. Problem solved!

August 12, 2014 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too many trolls o n this thread.

August 12, 2014 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom Has our backs to keep the Grove, THE Grove. South beach is a wreck, Midtown is barely making it, Wynwood has 2 good nights a month.That's all. I know, I work in the service industry in all these areas

There is nothing wrong w progress but...for those of us that built this village and have been her 20 yrs+ we would like to see more support from the new kids on the block. We all need to work together
I am more than happy to work and play and spend in my neighborhood but, I most certainly won't patronize shops that shun me and disregard the village I love
Let drummers drum and restaraunts and shop fore fill our wants
Thank you to all my fellow villagers

August 12, 2014 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a true Biscayne Baby born in Coral Gables in 1951. My mother and I moved to our summer home in Maine when I entered college at UMO and things got dicey in Miami with crime. Our house and the one next door ( 5 acres each) is now Cutler Oaks between Fairchild Gardens and Snapper Creek.
I live in Kennebunkport Maine. A few years ago I looked at real estate in Coconut Grove and decided I couldn't swing the expense and persue the lifestyle to which I was accustomed. Kennebunkport is a lot like Coconut Grove north. A couple of years ago a develeoper bought out about 70% of the town and the "flavor" and mood has changed from quaint seaport village to wannabe upscale resort. Locals and summer residents hate it. Locals can't afford it and summer residents are getting more of what they hoped to escape.
I feel your pain. No, you are not imagining things.
Ellen P Foss

August 12, 2014 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home