HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Center Grove is NIMBY

Someone left a comment on one of the earlier posts about the Grove being about the people, about the neighbors and not about the Center Grove.  They said that most residents don't even know what's going on in Center Grove, that most don't recognize the place anymore. The comment said, "The true meaning of community does not depend on the economics of the businesses in the center Grove." I do remember writing awhile back that the buildings don't make the neighborhood, the people do.

Most of us who live here don't spend that much time in the Center Grove, even those who live a few blocks away tell me that they spend a lot of time outside the Grove. I have friends in the South Grove who are closer to South Miami and they spend their time there, the North Grove people I know, including myself, spend time in Brickell. At dinner time, I can call in an order to Perricone's for take-out and be there and be home in 15 minutes. And South Beach is 15 minutes away; I get my car serviced in Coral Gables and I go to the Publix on 27th Avenue or Coral Gables. 

As for the residents, we live in the tropical jungle of South or North Grove or live on the shoreline, enjoying the bay. Maybe it really isn't about the few blocks that encompass the Center Grove. We can go and enjoy the restaurants and shops, but our whole lives aren't spent there. Most of us are in and out and I would assume we spend more time at home, which in most cases is outside the Center Grove. There are condos in the Center Grove, but the majority of Grovites live north and south of that. I'm talking about the Central Business District (the BID footprint where the businesses are, no the residents behind that).

So basically what I'm trying to say is that while the Center Grove business area changes all the time, the neighborhoods north and south are really the way they have always been. A few condos have gone up in the North Grove, but for the most part, it's the same as it's always been and the South Grove is very much the same with houses and lots of foliage.  That makes me feel a lot better about the changes going on. Whomever left that original comment, thank you, wish you had signed your name.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Michelle McGonigal.

August 14, 2014 7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I am in the Center Grove a lot. I work at the Coconut Grove Elementary, lunch at the Last Carrot, where my daughter Maya works, stop for breakfast sometimes at Greenstreets after my sunrise walk through Dinner Key, and support places like Maya Hatcha, Revolution Cycle, and Marmesh's. I try to ride my bike when I can to avoid the hassles of parking. I guess if I wanted to be treated like a number, I would go to these "chain" establishments that have invaded our village, but I prefer to stick with the stores and restaurants that understand what it means to be in the Grove. You do have a choice.

Thanks for the nice comment on my post. Really, there is no where in Miami that I would rather live than in Coconut Grove.

Michelle McGonigal

August 14, 2014 7:18 AM  
Blogger Tony Scornavacca Jr. said...

I agree, and thanks Michelle for signing your name. ... These comments should include the names of those who post. Much friendlier that way.

August 14, 2014 7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Tony. I forgot to mention my husband, the best stonemason in Coconut Grove, Josh Billig and his business, Rockers Stone! There's a whole list of old time businesses out there:

H and H
Flannigan's
Pauloluigi's
Shell Lumber
Midori's
This and That (of course)
Yucky's, now Lucky's
Anybody want to add to this list?

You see, the Grove is still here. You just have to know where to look.

The other Michelle

August 14, 2014 8:54 AM  
Blogger Sledge said...

Totally agree. There seems to be a somewhat generalized obsession of having to "belong" to this little Village or the next one, and then pointless comparisons begin.. We all move around, Brickell, Gables, Downtown or overseas.

August 14, 2014 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should see some of the monstrosities being built in South Grove on little tiny lots leaving tiny strips of green space in the front and back of structures. Some developers are tripping the living area size by taking away from previously lush beautiful yards and doing away with large tree canopies. South Grove is being overbuilt with lots of distasteful new houses.

August 14, 2014 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Jack said...

Ditto for the West Grove. (excuse me The Village West)

August 14, 2014 2:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Im not sure of the implications behind Jacks comment regarding "the west Village" in regard to our development and since my company the Collaborate Development Corporation located in the heart of "village west" is the only developer in the area just to be clear..our developnent is driven by the neighborhood standards determined by the wishes of the residents if village west. Secondly regarding the center grove discussion, I think center Grove needs to revaluate what exactly its footprint is..lets be frank coconut grove is no longer the cool destination place that it used to be..there are other communities all over the city of miami that attract a younger hipper affluent demographic that the grove no longer attracts..midtown ..downtown..Brickell all have the cool restaurants sports bars art galleries trendy retail and most importantly cool residential condos townhouses etc that also attracts the demographic we are trying to cultivate..

August 14, 2014 6:26 PM  
Blogger Brian Breslin said...

I live in center grove and rarely hangout in center grove anymore. My tastes have changed from when I moved here 8 years ago. I want an old fashioned, where in the grove can I even get a good one? I want good coffee, until Panther opens where can I get one? Cuban coffee or croquetas? A decent sandwich that isn't subway or jimmy johns?

I would love to walk to more places, that's why I moved here, but sadly the options are way better outside the grove for food and drinks.

August 16, 2014 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Brian, U write U can't find good coffee, Cuban or otherwise, croquetas, U love to walk more places, but options are way better outside the grove for food & drinks. Just walk over to Big Daddy's because here in the Grove that what they specialize in - - - - PLUS you get a free newspaper & cup of great coffee, croquetas, great company and likeable sales personnel @ every turn.

August 16, 2014 12:05 PM  
Blogger Tony Scornavacca Jr. said...

Anon 12:05, which did you mean - Big Daddy's liquor store, or the restaurant where they have croquetas?

August 18, 2014 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i find it comical that you say the the center grove is "unrecognizable" What is unrecognizable is all the empty store fronts! Rents too high you always complain, open your eyes. The cheapest retail rents are in the Grove. I hope things change because I loved the Grove growing up but it is the people who resist change who have ruined the Grove not those who are trying to make it better.

August 18, 2014 9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home