HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Saturday, July 19, 2014

The iPhone and iCloud incident

My iPhone died last Saturday night. From about 8 pm until 2 am I tried everything on iTunes to restore it or to at least save all the contents. I was lucky enough to move about 2000 photos to an external hard drive before everything started going crazy. But after that, I tried to sync things and everything froze up and died.

The main screen on the phone was locked on an icon, saying, "Connect to iTunes" which I did, and where it stayed stuck. I'm bad at backing up the phone, according to iTunes the last time I did that was December 2011, so I was hoping to at least get things back from that point, I was sure most of the apps were the same and the contacts and phone numbers were the main things I was concerned about since I had already saved the pictures.


As for the iCloud, I don't know how to use the iCloud with the iPhone and have never used it, but by what I thought was magic, on July 5, 2014 at 6:05 pm (a week before), the iCloud backed up all my stuff.  I bought a new phone the next day and was fiddling around with it and the iCloud info popped up when I tried to sync things. Now I was in The Hamptons on July 5 at 6:05 pm. I wasn't on my phone and don't know how I would even do it from The Hamptons. I was wondering how at that particular time, it was all backed up. But thanks to that, I haven't missed a beat. I just re-installed everything on the phone and everything is there: numbers, texts, pictures, emails, everything.

I noticed that the time before that, on July 4, 2013, the iCloud also backed up my stuff. So it seems that every time I go to my cousins' house in The Hamptons, for the July 4th holiday, my iPhone is automatically backed up. My cousin joked on Facebook about it saying, "You are welcome! We automatically back up phones when entering the house."

But this seems to be the case. Where they are located, it's hard to get 3G, 4G, LTE or anything, you need to connect to their wifi at the house and apparently when you do that, iCloud kicks in. I never use the wifi on my iPhone, not sure why, but I guess after seeing messages like, "It's been 50 weeks since your last iCloud backup," I should take it seriously in the future and use the wifi once in awhile so that it backs up the iCloud for me.

So I got a new iPhone, connected to the iCloud and synced everything. The timing was perfect, as the phone could have gone dead the day or week before July 5, but it ended up working out just right. 

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.