HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Kids scamming drivers on US1

A reader sent this photo in, it's a group of kids on US1 collecting money for a non-existent sport. They do this at a lot of intersections on the highway. Years ago they were all over the Center Grove, with fake pieces of paper, saying they were collecting for their sports teams which were non-existent.

The sad part is that an adult or two run this operation and they have the kids do all the work, and the kids probably don't see much, if any of the money. They play on people's sympathies and I guess that's ok if you feel you are giving to kids, but you are actually giving to adults who are using these kids as child labor.

I've witnessed in the past how the kids are treated, the adults basically thrown them out of a car where they are dropped off and they are called names and yelled at and told not to come back without any money. I've witnessed this in front of the post office and down by the Mayfair. This was a couple of years ago. I'm assuming it's the same operation here on US1.


They were eventually chased out of the Center Grove after bothering tourists around CocoWalk and other areas. Maybe they'll be chased away from US1. I don't see how they can be permitted to be in the center of the highway anyway, it's tantamount to playing in traffic; quite dangerous.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Dexter said...

That's a danger to themselves and motorists. Jaywalking, if nothing else.
Charge the parent(s) with neglect, as well as fraud.

June 11, 2014 5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wondered as well how they are able to stand in the center median of busy highways. I'm sure there's a law against it. As a rule, I never give money to panhandlers. If others did the same, this would no longer be an issue in the Grove.

June 11, 2014 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the sport they're claiming to be raising money for?

June 11, 2014 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen several cops drive past this - with these young kids in the middle of the road, and not bat an eye.

Miami PD "professional law enforcement"

*quotation marks indicate a direct quote, or a irony - you decide which it is here.

June 11, 2014 11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miami police is too busy with a sting operation directed at Uber.com and Lyft.com which are obviously more important than this. Of course owners of the taxi monopolies are major political contributors. You know, I would rather see people begging, than stealing or dealing drugs, there is an ethical question here. I never pay beggars and do not donate to large charities either, I only directly help people I know who I know need help. Of course there is no substitute for real productive employment, but have you tried to get a job in Miami as an African American lately?

June 11, 2014 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

What's the sport they're claiming to be raising money for?

June 11, 2014 11:01 AM

They always say football. For the past year they've gone from The Falls, to Pinecrest and now here...all the while claiming there is a big tournament in Texas coming up...it's a joke. They are well trained to always be polite and smile. I told one of 'em he looked like he was 25 the other day. He just smiled and kept walking. They are thieves...

DKF

June 11, 2014 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a group of kids 4 of them trying to raise money for their traveling baseball team today on 27th and Coral Way.

June 11, 2014 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Dexter said...

I experienced a group of them aggressively demanding money, outside of a Walgreens recently.
I mentioned this to the manager of the store and a black guy behind me, whom overheard my complaint, became verbally combative, accusing me of racism.
I think he may have been one of the ring-leaders.
After going back outside, I informed the kids that the police were on their way. They scattered like flies.

June 12, 2014 5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home