HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Monday, December 16, 2013

Overpriced restaurants

I'm really feeling ripped off at Grove restaurants these days. Just last week, two places really took me. One place charged $12 for a health drink and $14 for a dry salad, 90% bean sprouts, no meat, hardly anything else (no, it wasn't The Last Carrot), I go to The Last Carrot almost daily and get a great lunch at a great price, but this other place lost my business forever. And to top it off, they are across the street from a former toxic dump!

The other day my friend and I went to another place, their $13.99 lunch special ended up being $40 per person with the tip, we didn't have appetizers and we drank iced tea. No dessert either.

Another place I frequent always charges about $5 to $7 more than they should for common items and we were shocked one time to pay $6 for a glass of grapefruit juice, they casually asked if I wanted a refill and that ended up being another $6! Because they feel the need to add that extra $5 to $7, I no longer go there. The nickle and diming really bothers me.

Stop it guys. It's not right.

I can see why Subway has lines around the block every day. Maybe if some of these local restaurants would be reasonable they would make it up in volume.

This past weekend I was on Lincoln Road in South Beach. Almost every restaurant, on a Sunday, had $9.95 lunch specials. They had a large variety to choose from and there was a lot of food on the plate. I ordered spaghetti with meat sauce at once place, which I think came with a side. I couldn't eat it all, it was enough for maybe three meals. One of my friends got a steak sandwich with a side and another got a burger with a side. All for $9.95 each.

It's sad when $9.95 is considered cheap for a burger. But it sure beats some of these prices I see around the Grove.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you add in the ridiculous parking situation along with mediocre service it's no wonder the Grove is Dead! Again the Grove needs free parking and free trolley's like the rest of Miami and the Gables. Maybe then they will get quality. Berries and Flannigan's are always packed as they have free parking, great prices and good service. It's not that difficult to figure out. Wait until that overpriced waterfront debacle opens it will be another Grove Disaster!

December 16, 2013 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's habit, but I never, never, never purchase anything unless I know the price, and if surprises as you must have been I would cause that business to call the police for non-payment, other than what is advertised, which is why my wife doesn't think it wise to go out and about much. P.S. And I would never pay, such as parking or an entrance fee to go in and spend my hard earned cash; old fashion I guess!

December 16, 2013 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way, I even had brunch at Sandbar yesterday and paid $40 for bland food. Calamari's happy hour is always my good go-to but, I feel like I kill it so easily since, it's the best deal around. I wish we had more options!

December 16, 2013 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's due in large part to the ridiculous rent charged by the 3 people (corporations) that own every inch of the commercial grove. More empty store fronts coming to the grove soon.

December 16, 2013 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I had a lovely pre-movie dinner at La Gamba, the new Spanish restaurnt on Main Highway where Luda used to be. Nice, friendly staff (spoke with owner, chef, and waitress), in comfortable, pretty interior. Food was good and fairly priced, a nice change for the Grove.

December 16, 2013 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Anonymous 11:20am

I agree 100% with the cause of all this. I too believe it is the over priced rent these establishments have to pay. I love the Grove but from rental, to property values for homes and condos to rent to own a business, it is just way to much. But this can only go on for so long. You cant price things higher than the local economy can bear for to long and expect everything to go on running smoothly. Something has to give.

December 16, 2013 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think when you review these restaurants, you should write their names so we know what to expect.

December 16, 2013 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is so much wrong with the Grove it is too much to say here!!! Meet with a Village Council Member and voice your concerns. For now they are your only voice.

December 16, 2013 5:10 PM  
Anonymous Deborah Crisp said...

We had an exceptional meal at Peacock Garden Café Sat. night. Worth every penny, and the jazz was delightful.

Acropolis is now our go-to place. It used to be Calamari, but Acropolis has an extensive menu, VERY fair prices, especially on specials, with large portions. The service is consistently excellent. Contantino aims to please. Check it out.

December 16, 2013 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Dexter said...

I have to agree with the first comment. The parking situation is outrageous in the Grove.
Numerous times I have seen tourists get so frustrated with the confusing ticket machines (even when they actually work), that they have given up and driven elsewhere.

December 16, 2013 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dexter

The month before we moved to the Grove we had the same experience at the parking lot next to the playhouse. The machine was malfunctioning and we saw a couple from broward throw their hands up in frustration and leave.

December 16, 2013 10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My place is El Takito's.

December 17, 2013 1:17 AM  
Anonymous Jady said...

Something I just noticed and have to ask (Though off-topic a bit) .... Your Banner photo of the Christmas Tree in Cocowalk... What's with the photoshopped chick in black up front? Not being nitpicky, I'm wondering if I'm missing some sort of "Where's Waldo" joke or something!

December 17, 2013 2:15 AM  
Anonymous Dexter said...

Jady, copy and paste text below into browser address bar. ;-)

http://web.archive.org/web/20131109224115/http://www.coconutgrovegrapevine.blogspot.com/



December 17, 2013 8:16 AM  
Blogger Tom Falco said...

Here's the original, the only real one: http://web.archive.org/web/20120410045350/http://coconutgrovegrapevine.blogspot.com/

I made the current one look more obvious because it was blending in too much with all the other people, so I sort of gave it the white shadow so it would stick out a bit.

In the original, all the people in the background are photoshopped in because when I took the photo is was about 8 am and Johnny Rockets wasn't open yet, so the tables were empty, I went back later, took a photo of people at the tables and photoshopped them in later.

December 17, 2013 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Taquito is the only good food in the grove and well priced

December 17, 2013 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed on El Taquito - it is the best thing the grove has going for it... other than Bombay Darbar.

December 17, 2013 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dine frequently in the Grove, mainly on week nights when it's not as crowded. Never have parking problems. I use the Miami Parking number and it's very easy to use, plus Miami residents get a discount. Last night we went to Calimari. Hadn't been in some time but it was excellent and the outdoor seating was lovely. Great bottle of wine. We enjoy Lokal, Bombay Darbar, Jaguar and Greenstreet for breakfast. Tried the new place, Strada, on Commodore. Couldn't hear ourselves talk. Hopefully they will do something about their noise level.

December 17, 2013 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Jady said...

Aha! I knew I picked up on something. Inspector Gadget. That's me.

December 18, 2013 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home