HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Monday, June 17, 2013

Cronuts and Dove Bars and ESP, oh my

So there's this new craze in New York called Cronuts, according to what I've read, they are "party flaky croissant and part cream-filled doughnut. Apparently they are hard to get or maybe they are trademarked or pattented or something because only one place in SoHo is selling them and people are literally buying them and then scalping them. There are lines down the block, people look as if they are waiting for Bieber concert tickets. And now there is even a delivery service for Cronuts in New York.

This sort of reminds me of when the Dove Bar first came out in the 1980s. You could only get them from kiosks on street corners in New York and they came with a little cardboard thing at the bottom of the bar to keep the ice cream from dripping onto your hand. Now of course you can get Dove Bars anywhere, without the little cardboard thing of course. This reminds me of the article where I was lamenting the lack of photos from the 1980s. I can't find a photo of the Dove Bar with the cardboard thingie. If we had smart phones back then, there would have been so many images.

Well, you don't have to go to SoHo to get a Cronut, as The Bookstore in the Grove now makes them right on site. I tried one Saturday and went back Sunday to get some to bring to our Father's Day BBQ. I had asked if an angioplasty came with them. They're very rich. I watched as they made them and then tasted them hot, right out of the oven. Felice at the Bookstore tells me that they bake them, where the originals in New York are fried. The Cronuts are $2.50 each.

I had one of those freaky ESP sort of moments that I am famous for regarding the Cronuts. I went to Walgreens after I had the Cronuts at the Bookstore and as I'm checking out, the cashier was asking me to sign up for the Walgreens card. He said, and I quote, "You get lots of points with the card. Think of all the donuts that will get you!!"


Freaky!

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

3 Comments:

Anonymous LuLu said...

I had one of the Strawberry Cronuts on Saturday, it was pretty delicious, not something I'd eat on a normal basis by any means but definitely something to try and have once in a while as a special treat. My husband doesn't even like sweets and he was a fan! Definitely try them!

June 17, 2013 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful... the original guy actually did trademark the name Cronut so nobody else should be using it.
But I'm gonna have to stop by the bookstore and try one!

June 18, 2013 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There ok not as good as the new york ones

June 18, 2013 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home