HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Friday, July 27, 2012

She would have loved the old Grove

This is a comment someone left yesterday, I thought it was so beautiful I'm posting it here. It was an anonymous comment. I wish she had signed her name:

grove 

I was turning 50. In over 20 years, I hadn't taken a trip without my husband or children. I had been watching and loving Burn Notice for sometime. But, what impressed me was the Grove. The images of the neighborhood, the people were so attractive. During the winter before my trip, I planned my "escape." I researched the different areas of Miami. I worked an another job to earn the money to pay for the trip. And I dreamed of the time I would have.

Finally, I got there. And it was more than I hoped. I stayed at the Mutiny. It was lovely. The people took care of me. At night, I would walk around the Expo Center. I would watch the boats and sometimes get a glimpse of the show. I never intruded. It wasn't my style. I kinda wish it had been. I ate at Monty's. I loved the Chart House. I think I gained ten pounds in the Grove alone. I went to Cutler Bay. I visited the University of Miami. I walked the beach. And I walked around the Grove. I had Cuban coffee at the Grove Book Store and the Green Street Cafe. I saw Coby Bell eat at the Jaguar. And all the time, I listened and watched this part of Miami It became a "heart home."


One thing I understood was why Burn Notice was perfect for the Grove and the Grove was perfect for Burn Notice. It was a small corner of the Miami World filled with color and life. It was tucked away among brighter lights and made it's own music. It wasn't the same as the other, bigger places. Yet, it had a flavor and style and flow. Like Burn Notice.


Burn Notice will go on no matter what happens. So will the Grove. But, sometimes you just want to live in the magic.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW what a beautiful post.What was said is so true about our community. We all need to work on making it better no matter what little things we can offer wether its picking up a peice of trash to being politically involved. One thing that I have seen is how separated our community is. Mr. Sarnoff is like the little kid that ignores its parents direction or ideas. he is a rebel with a cuase for his pocket and or his own future interets. NO TO SARNOFF. we should make a website "saynotosarnoff.com" and post all thing he has done to make the grove go down and or things that we as a community have asked for and have been denied but other sections on his district get.

July 27, 2012 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever brought up the idea of extending metro rail, metromover or a streetcar into the Grove?

The Grove is an amazing place, but I feel mass transit linking it to the rest of Miami's city core would do wonders for the area.

July 27, 2012 9:10 AM  
Blogger SteveBM said...

Old Grove? Sounds exactly like the current Grove. Live in the now, man!

July 27, 2012 9:35 AM  
Blogger Ken in Miami said...

I lived in the Grove in 1970, it was still a little art village back then. Progress sucks.

July 27, 2012 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this rate you should turn the grove into a 55and over community.I miss the old grove when it had a great nightlife.SO SAD IT ALL GONE

July 27, 2012 10:54 AM  
Blogger Headly Westerfield said...

There are still pockets of the Old Grove, but they are currently undergoing Demolition by Neglect. For those who still want to save a piece of the Old Grove before it's gone forever should take note of what's happening on Charles Avenue to the E.W.F Stirrup House and the Coconut Grove Playhouse.

Headly Westerfield

PS: Thanks for the write-up earlier this week, Tom.

July 27, 2012 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review, the Grove is truly beautiful! It is always good to hear that out-of-towners have a good time here.

Mutiny Hotel
Sales & Marketing
www.mutinyhotel.com

July 27, 2012 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone please define what the Old Grove is?

July 27, 2012 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old Grove was here prior to the sickening negative energy brought about by Sarnoff.

July 27, 2012 3:04 PM  
Blogger Brian Breslin said...

The idea that the old grove (a artsy hippy affordable place to live) could still exist is almost laughable when there are $10M condos in the neighborhood and $20M houses.

July 27, 2012 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An excellent point Brian! This is why Miami, not just Coconut Grove, is called a 3rd world place. It's b/c that's exactly the way it is in much of Latin America. And so many people see nothing wrong with it either. Very wealthy people right next to very poor people. And Grove residents wonder why there is so much crime.

There are, of course, more middle of the road income people in the Grove but I do see a giant and foolish wealthy population right next door to a HISTORICALLY poor section of town. Not only is it shameful and un-American but a lot of people seem to see nothing wrong with it. (facepalm)

July 27, 2012 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The old grove was FUN it had big good clubs like baja beach club,st croix,iquana cantina,wet willies upstairs,martini bar,oxugen.etc the guys on bikes pulling people around people cruising and showing off there cars.now its so bad hooters had to leave WOW thats sad.all becuase an old man says so .wake up people

July 27, 2012 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that's the old grove these people are talking about. (baja beach club and oxygen). That's the grove i remember. (1990s) They are talking about some quiet artsy town. You're right I don't remember it either! I think it ever existed. Are you talking about the same grove that had a planet hollywood as it's main attraction?

July 27, 2012 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon 7:43: Those were the new clubs. Before that we had Biscayne Babies, Cats, Suzannes, Ensign Bitters and the Gingerbread Man. The Grove was Rocking for years until recently (past few years). They killed it and unfortunately i do not think there is alot that can be done to resurrect the Grove. Everyone has moved on!

July 27, 2012 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are correct still its very sad.atleast we can say we did see the good times it had.R.I.P grove

July 27, 2012 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give it up people. It's the 21st century. Enjoy today and stop whining.

July 27, 2012 11:39 PM  
Anonymous ThisOldCoconutGrove said...

I think the "Old Grove" refers to the Coconut Grove that attracted artists and playwrights ( Edward Albee ) --it was often referred to as the "Southern Greenwich Village"

July 28, 2012 10:23 AM  
Blogger Brian Breslin said...

People need to stop thinking they can resurrect something that disappeared 25 years ago. Times have changed. They need to adapt and look to what works in the next 25 years.

The main reason I live in the grove is the walkability of it all. If the retail and entertainment options die off, I will move to midtown, brickell, or who knows where else.

stop living in the past people. start thinking strategically about the future of the grove, and all of your respective property values.

July 29, 2012 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO SAD

July 29, 2012 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'm old... The only clubs I remember were Sausalito (where mr. moe's is) and The Mutiny... There were a few restaurants... Kaleidoscope, Country Store, Monty's come to mind... There were maybe 2 or 3 retail stores... The rest was artists space... It was a sleepy and interesting place. Now, it's dying retail and restaurant space... Nothing overly interesting... It's nice to reflect on the past, and live for today, but I wish the Grove didn't take on the persona that it has... Yeah... It's kinda sad.

August 04, 2012 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home