HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Friday, August 26, 2011

What next, a Calvin Klein underwear model?

sign1
As I came up the hill on Mary Street today, this is what I saw, this big ugly sign going up on the side of Mayfair. It's the size of a billboard. It's not only ugly, but it's illegal.

I asked around and have gotten different stories, the consensus is that one of the ad agencies in Mayfair had it put up to promote the Big Brothers and Big Sisters. But it makes the Grove look like a condemned area and I'm sure the two condo buildings who face this are not crazy about it either.

It doesn't look that large here, but it is huge. I would say about 20 or 25 feet high, something stupid like you would see on those downtown buildings. The hazard stripes on the poster make it even worse. This is the route that every single tour bus takes to enter the Village. Is this the first impression tourists get now of Coconut Grove? That we are closed for business and under construction? That's the first impression I got. Actually, my first impression was that Mayfair was condemned or something. I really did. Then I read the sign closely.

If the ad agency was so into the children's charities, they could have signed up to run a bed in next week's Great Grove Bed Race, the money all goes to the Boys and Girls Clubs. I begged all the agencies in Mayfair to sign up for beds. It all fell on deaf ears. So much for helping out charities.

I think it needs to come down now. Since when do we allow big billboard type signs in the Center Grove?


Tell us what you think about it on Facebook, I know you want to.

sign2

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.