HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Thursday, June 11, 2009

We need to let the tourists know we are here

People ask me why I hate South Beach. They say I am trying to steal tourists.

That is not the case and for the record, I love South Beach. I am there all the time. Someone who wants attention started trouble by saying I said that the trolley idea was my idea. Not so, my idea was to take a trolley from one city to another and advertise or pick up tourists that way, for a day trip. I didn't say I invented the trolley or circulator. In fact, one trolley could be used by all communities, it would shuttle people back and forth between tourist destinations, so it could be a county run thing.

When I call Coconut Grove the anti-South Beach, I don't mean it in a negative way. I mean that we are the opposite and we are an alternative to South Beach and many tourists don't know about it through our own fault. We don't promote the Grove to tourists correctly.

My suggestion is that South Beach tourists, who are in town for more than a day or two, take a day trip to the Grove. Many take day trips to the Everglades and the Keys and many don't really know that we are only a few minutes from South Beach.

Many South Beach tourists come to Vizcaya, but they don't realize that a mile or two south is a whole village awaiting them. They are here already, we just need them to come in that extra mile.

So when I say we need to promote ourselves as the anti-South Beach, I basically mean, let's let the tourists know there is a day trip alternative to the partying, beaching and wildness, if they choose to partake in that.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. Promote the laid back charm, funky culture, dining, shopping and natural beauty of the Grove. It's the only Old Florida village in Miami coastal area.
I also think it would be a great place for a Miami "tech" base (just thought I'd throw that in).

June 11, 2009 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

an easy way to promote CG to tourists would be via the hotels on MB. call the concierge for each hotel on the beach and let them know any promotion, event etc being held in the grove. after a day or two on the beach, most would want to venture out.

June 11, 2009 6:47 PM  
Anonymous RAS said...

You may have been misinterpreted because "anti" means "against".

"Alternative" is the word we're looking for.

June 12, 2009 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Howard Beasley said...

The late southern comedian Brother Dave Gardner once said he wasn't "against" communism...he wouldn't get that close to it.

June 12, 2009 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home