HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, June 30, 2019

He's headed to Princeton on a full scholarship

Keyshawn Felton is flanked by
Sam Davis & his mother Kimberly Davis 
We heard some fantastic news from 18-year-old Grovite Keyshawn Felton. He recently received a full scholarship from Princeton University. He was literally at Duke University interviewing for a full ride merit scholarship with them when he heard from Princeton, right there on the spot! Keyshawn, who has a large family, eight siblings, were all so proud when they hear, long with his parents, of course.

It's important to note that he was accepted to 19 out of the 21 colleges he applied to. He'll be studying economics at Princeton. He starts classes September 11.

"The school I most wanted to attend did not accept me (rhymes with fail) and Princeton was basically my second choice out of the 21. It was my second choice because it would open all the same opportunities as my top school would and it is known to have a better focus on its undergraduate students. I would like to say that I am happy to be a part of Princeton’s class of 2023. GO TIGERS!" said Keyshawn.

"Many people have been saying that I received a full-ride to attend Princeton which is effectively true, but not entirely. Princeton, much like Harvard, Yale and many other peer institutions, does not award merit scholarships to anyone. They do it based solely on one’s financial status, and I happen to fall below the number they set to give full financial aid. However, I did receive another scholarship that would have actually given me a full-ride at any school I applied to which is completely academic based. I had the honor of receiving the Gates Scholarship which is funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation," he said.

Keyshawn went to Coconut Grove Elementary and Coral Gables High School, he also went to The Barnyard, an after-school care program. "I was heavily involved in Student Government at Coral Gables, serving as the Senior Class Vice President and Secretary of Academics at Gables. I was also involved with the Future Business Leaders of America for three years, National Honor Society for three years, Best Buddies for two years, and Political Activism and Civic Engagement for one year. Outside of school I was also very politically active, working in many local campaigns across Miami," he says.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

3 Comments:

Anonymous sonia sanguinetti said...

KEYSHAWN....
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S......A MILLION TIME OVER.....What an impressive involvement in society !!!! You Go Guy!!!!!

From a Jamaican/American Grovite
Sonia

June 30, 2019 4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Keyshawn! Well done. Continue making Coconut Grove proud!

From a non-Jamaican/American Grovite

June 30, 2019 7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Keep up the hard work and don't let the winter weather get you down! :D

July 01, 2019 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home