HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Saturday, January 12, 2019

His incredible sculptures are made of car parts

The St. Stephen's Art Show and  Coconut Grove Arts Festival are February 16-18, 2019. We'll be profiling some of the artists who are participating this year. 


Kyle and one of his fish creations.

Meet sculptor Kyle Pearce from Tarpon Springs, Florida, right on the Anclote River. 

"Matter of fact, I was living on a sailboat for a year before I got my house. I'm single, but have three great sons who don't live with me," says Kyle.

Kyle will be showing his work at the St. Stephen's Art Show. He's been doing the St. Stephen's show for about five years. He likes the show because, "they treat the artists great and I usually sell pretty well there also. I also bring my fishing rod and catch a boat trip each night after the show so it's a fun trip."

What is so cool about Kyle's sculptures is that they are made mostly from car parts including bumpers, hoods and fenders, and some mechanical parts. He gets a lot of his supplies from junkyards and body shops. Kyle says, "Repurposing stuff is great, plus I believe there is a spirit, or energy in everything, and stuff from accidents has a story to tell."

He tries to keep his art small enough so he can move it around by himself.

Kyle travels the country and does shows in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago plus a few local shows. "I love road trips so it's a good fit; I love fishing and motorcycles so Florida is a good fit also."


One of Kyle's motorcycle works.
He made the first biker sculpture from bumpers, the second from car hoods and bicycle parts and a third from raw steel. They are in a Harley dealership in New York, a Wheels Through Time Museum in North Carolina, and Long Beach Island, New jersey respectively.

Kyle says, "I like to work primitively, eschewing electric tools and welders for gas torches and a hammer. I make most of my bends with an English knee."

I asked Kyle if he could have his portrait painted by any artist, who would it be, he said, "I love old expressionist art and Henri Matisse. If I could have Matisse do a portrait of me it would be way cool, but with him being dead, I would have to go with Stephen Palladino. He's a great upcoming artist with a cool street style. Plus he's not dead."

I also asked Kyle how he goes about creating each piece, "I usually do a rough sketch to begin, then seldom look at it again as the piece starts to take on a life of it's own."

His customers include businesses such as Dale Jarrett Ford, museums, and collectors. Plus a lot of lawyers for some reason.

Kyle's work is unique and interesting and stands out among the other art at the St. Stephen's Art Show. Look for him this February. In the meantime, check his work out at his Instagram page here: instagram.com/kylepearcesculpture

Another Kyle creation.
A closeup of one of the pieces. Notice the detail.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home