HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Allowing pedestrians to cross in all directions at once

There's a new proposal for the traffic intersections in New York City, where all traffic stops at once, allowing the pedestrians to cross at any direction, all at once. I think I brought this subject up once before for the center of the Village at McFarlane, Grand and Main.

Someone told me that this is the way they do it in Japan. 

It's an interesting concept. It would allow for people to cross more safely, as I am constantly hearing horror stories from locals about their adventures in trying to cross that intersection.

Someone once asked me why I don't go to Panther Coffee more often. My response was that it's too hard to get there. Now that Starbucks is said to be taking over the center building there, at the former Coldwell Banker and Bank building, it might be necessary to make that trek now.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it isn't easy getting across to Pather coffee so I usually go to the crosswalk at grand in front of the school across from the dry cleaners go down fuller street and cross main hwy at that pedestrian crosswalk. I know sometimes you are taking your life in your hands but I find if you step out people are forced to stop. Just have to be careful of the rude drivers!!

May 10, 2017 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting concept. I always thought we should have a well trained official, standing on a pedestal directing traffic at that intersection. Especially during peak traffic hours. It could also be a form of entertainment. Think I saw something like this in London.

May 10, 2017 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if you wait patiently for the little red hand to turn into the little white man crossing the street isn't nearly as difficult as you make it out to be.

May 10, 2017 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@9:59 - The pedestrian crossing signal takes quite some time to finally let you cross. Then there's also the issue of the occasional driver who runs the red light on westbound Grand Ave - some drivers see the left turn lane going and think they can go straight, either ignoring or not seeing the red light. I've seen this happen dozens of times there.

Having all traffic stop at once would be great. However, allowing people to cross anywhere here is a bad idea as this intersection is really big and would take some time to cross, especially if you want to cut diagonally from in front of Cocowalk to where Panther Coffee is.

May 10, 2017 12:51 PM  
Blogger REID PREATT said...

I ALWAYS THOUGHT TOM WOULD SUPPORT A LOCAL BUSINESS. STAR BUCKS DOES NOT CUT IT NOR DOES THE EXCUSE OF NOT HAVING THE TIME TO CROSS. MAAYBE STARBUCKS IS BETTER, I DO NOT KNOW.

May 10, 2017 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About six months ago, I called 311 and suggested this solution for that intersection, citing Vancouver, BC, as an example of a city that has a free crossing signal for pedestrians. They sent my suggestion through their system and came back and said that it wasn't feasible because of the amount of traffic that moves through the intersection. I'm not convinced. Perhaps the local businesses community might have more sway with the city, if they can make the argument that it's bad for business to have pedestrians, especially tourists, so endangered.

May 10, 2017 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home