HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Remembering Christ Tavantzis

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Christ Tavantzis, a Grovite, who I am sure so many of you knew. Christ was a part of everything in the Grove, he was a fixture at Coconut Grove events.  He was a fixture at the old Taurus and his family goes back a long way in Miami. His mother, Katina, was known for her excellent Greek cooking.

Christ designed and built this proto-type "ChrisTrike," which allows a wheelchair to roll up a ramp and steer it. He was found in his apartment by a contractor who had come by to do some work for him.

I will post funeral or memorial notices when I have them. Christ is survived by his brother Gus.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

7 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

You will be missed my friend. RIP

February 11, 2016 2:53 PM  
Anonymous am said...

So long Chris, have a safe journey. Godspeed!

February 11, 2016 3:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So shocked to hear this, really saddens me Chris, sorry didn't get to say so long . RIP our dear Grove friend :( I will see in in the next life.

February 11, 2016 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Jim Hesketh said...

Wow, I'm shocked and disappointed in myself. Christ called me last week and I hadn't returned the call yet. He built his first bike without knowing how to ride: I helped him learn and got involved with him getting his M/C license. He was amazing, how he just kept going despite all setbacks and obstacles. He's the first person to introduce me to Tom. Too many thoughts to get down coherently here, now. He'll be missed.

February 11, 2016 10:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm just floored that we've lost Chris. I worked with him for years and most recently he moved into the building across the street. He never let his limitations get in the way of anything. I just spoke with him a week ago and he was in good spirits. Every day is gift and Chris has taught us yet another valuable lesson. RIP Buddy.

February 12, 2016 2:31 PM  
Blogger Michelle Niemeyer said...

Oh, wow! I just saw this. Thanks for posting, Tom. I really liked Christ. We would hang out at The Grove Spot sometimes when I was there. He was one of those people who you could count on to always be friendly, a really nice guy. He will be missed.

February 12, 2016 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Erica Korpela said...

Christ was one of the very locals knew me since I was just a youngster. I last saw him at the famous Coconut Grove Mango Strut this past December. While sipping on "apple juice," we caught up on his progressions of his trike project.

It's good people like Christ that add character to our precious Coconut Grove. In looking back, I'm so glad I got up from my front row parade chair that day to swap sea vs trike stories.

You will be greatly missed my friend.

-Erica Korpela

February 13, 2016 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home