HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Is FPL or the new condo developments to blame?

The other night there was a power outage in Center Grove. Apparently this is a frequent occurrence. I find it interesting for three reasons - 1) a friend asked me why the Gap was closed the other night, he assumed that they left CoconWalk; 2) a friend texted me at the moment of the blackout and was upset over it; 3) I just had a conversation with a friend in South Beach who said he had to renew his street parking permit, I told him we didn't have to deal with that here.

We received this from a friend, who addresses these issues:


I would love to find out who should be responsible for the power outages that happen frequently …On the 27th Avenue grid and last night at the movie theater and the Gap were without power - prior to the 4 pm movies …I feel the City of Miami gave permission to these high rises and FPL is responsible for the power - and with these frequent loss of power this cost the tax payers and the theater goers - I live in a ten person home owners association and as our power continues to go out our pump for the a/c goes out as well….We recently had to pay to have the pump worked on - and many were without a/c …I see in my bill FPL would like for us the customer to add an additional $5 a month for surge protection…that is ridiculous a - because if the power stayed on and the new buildings and builders were forced to have generators for the new construction there might be less power outages.

As well the parking is ridiculous …I see people park anywhere there is not a meter.  I do not want the Grove to become like Miami and Miami Beach but we are heading that way.  With resident-parking areas.  It is not fair to those who live here and are residents.  

Is there a solution to these issues ??? Thank you.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Jack said...

I live in the West Grove but, have many friends who live in Center Grove. Very often they are calling me to see if we have power as they do not. As a rule we do not have a problem but they certainly do.

January 23, 2016 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Folks, I shudder and then are relieved after realizing I'm fortunate to be 73. It appears the Human population has exceeded earths capacity in all so many ways. Books titled
"The Rise & Fall of Civilizations" appear to be correct forecast beginning with Rome, the Great Wars and recent the Middle East. The concept that every life form is "SUPREME" simply stated is hog wash. A simple air bag or ignition switch can kill you! 3,000,000 people from Syria displaced, race relations in the U.S., well how about no colors get nominations @ the Academy Awards, shoot!, many of my bill pays from my bank don't make it; my printer stopped this AM and I have to make a presentation at the WAVE, @ Peacock Park for Help Mother Ocean. org. But I can relax because I'm 73 and won't be around when the real crap hit the fan for all you young people - GOOD LUCK Jobie Steppe

January 23, 2016 10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Living just North of the 2 Huge new Towers on 27th ave, we have not had any power outages. Thus, a good guess is that something is sucking more power than expected near 27th. Look at the 2 new towers lit up at night, all the construction on and around the Grove Bank, do the math. In this case, it's probably not due to global warming..

January 23, 2016 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this very moment every business and traffic light on Bird Road and 82nd Ave to 86 Ave are without electricity but what do you expect when you have a conservative utopia shangri-la run by crazy Ricky Scott and Laughing Leutenant Governor Carlos.

January 23, 2016 1:27 PM  
Anonymous swlip said...

Let's see. It's a very windy day. We have powerlines. We have trees.

There might be a connection in there, somewhere.

January 23, 2016 9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep blame politicians for a power outage on Bird Road. Very logical.

January 23, 2016 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live on Virginia St. Often we lose power but Day Ave. still has power. I guess it is a different grid. I have 7 UPS backup power supplies for all my computers and satellite receivers (those take 10 minutes to reboot). We often have momentary power interruptions of 1-2 seconds and this has been going on for many years. I don't know if new construction has as much to do with it as old power lines and trees. It is pretty inconvenient though.

January 25, 2016 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home